Evan Sweeney ’16: SIS Undergraduate Council President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus American University: Tell us a little about yourself. What made you decide to go to AU?

Evan Sweeney: I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I’m an International Studies major with a focus on Global Inequality and Development. I’m particularly interested in the Middle East, and I’ve studied both French and Arabic. I have been involved with the Obama Campaign, the Pittsburgh Youth Media, and the Heinz Endowments in the past.

Having decided to major in IR, Washington, DC seemed to be the natural place to go. I fell in love with AU after touring- I especially love how we have a beautiful campus and an actual quad (take that, GW) while still having quick access to Maryland and downtown Washington. Our IR program is excellent, too.

HCAU: What does the SISUGC President position entail? What made you decide to run?

ES: As President of the SISUGC, I’m responsible for coordinating all of our committees, approving and overseeing programming and budgeting, connecting with SIS faculty and administration to represent and advocate for the interests of our students, and occasionally ordering large amounts of pizza. I decided to run because I saw this position as a phenomenal opportunity to serve my classmates and improve the way things are run within SIS, ideally bringing us all closer together as an academic and social community. I love bringing new ideas to the table and challenging the status quo.

HCAU: What do you hope to accomplish as President?

ES: While I have a lot of ideas, there are two primary things I’d like to accomplish while President. Perhaps most importantly, I would like to reach out to as many SIS students as possible to ensure that everyone has a means to voice their opinions and concerns to faculty and administration. I would also like to solidify the identity of the Council while developing and implementing sustainable and inclusive programming, especially promoting diversity. With that said, visit our Facebook page (SIS Undergraduate Council) to learn about our upcoming events!

HCAU: What other activities are you involved in, on or off-campus?

ES: When I’m not attending class or exploring someplace new, I run a rock and hip hop radio show, “Yallah,” with my cohost Wallis Neff every Wednesday morning (12-2am) on WVAU. I also work as a Development and Communications Intern for Everybody Wins! DC, a fantastic nonprofit dedicated to connecting adult reading mentors to children while promoting literacy in, and providing resources to, DC public schools. Maybe I’ll eventually get around to joining the AU Beekeeping Society.

HCAU: What has been your favorite place you’ve traveled?

ES: I have a deep love for Paris, France. It’s full of fascinating history and culture, and there’s truly no place more romantic. I still have family living there as well, which is great. Paris est très belle.

HCAU: What has been your favorite place in DC you’ve explored or your best memory here so far? What other places do you want to check out?

ES: One of my most memorable experiences in Washington was when my friend at Georgetown University (who works for their TV station) snuck me through a back entrance to see Kevin Spacey, one of my favorite actors, at a private event. I got to speak with him! My favorite neighborhood in DC would have to be Adams Morgan, and I’m looking forward to spending more time in the U Street Corridor.

HCAU: Where do you see yourself in five years?

ES: While it’s difficult to imagine what exactly I’ll be doing in five years, I hope that I will have had the opportunity to travel a great deal, and I hope to be working in an international capacity that will allow me to be making a marked, positive impact fighting for those who have been disenfranchised and oppressed. Simply being happy is incredibly important, too.

HCAU: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

ES: I’m a fairly shy and reserved guy around those I don’t know particularly well, and so I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that I actually have a pretty goofy sense of humor, and I love getting out and meeting new people. I try not to take things too seriously.

If you want to contact Evan and learn more about the SIS Undergraduate Council, email evan.sweeney@ausg.org

Public Relations major with minors in Marketing and International Relations. Studying in our lovely Nation's Capital.