This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Now that it’s October, the spooky season is just around the corner. If you’re like me, you’ve been ready for fall since August, so here are some essential dorm decorations for a great Halloween.

1. A cute little ghost mug

This sweet ghost mug comes from Target, but it can be hard to find. Any ghost mug will add some joy to any drink you have.

2. A small but scary plant

There are lots of different plants that have a creepy vibe to them, including this plant shown above called a Shame Plant, or a touch me not. Whenever it’s touched, the leaves close around your hand. You can use the link provided to buy one and have it shipped to you or find a local nursery with touch me not plants.

3. A pot to go with your plant

Etsy has many skull-shaped planters and other Halloween-themed items, such as Frankenstein, Jack Skellington, and Michael Myers planters. Use these to pot your new plant.

4. Ghost lights

Ghost lights are a popular favorite, but there are also spider or pumpkin-shaped lights from Target. They’re inexpensive and tiny, so they will work well in any dorm space. The lights are battery-operated, so there is no need to worry about hanging them near an outlet.

5. Tarot card tapestry

Etsy features many different scary tapestries, including this one of “The Moon” Tarot card. You can easily hang one of these up with Command Hooks to make sure that you don’t damage your walls.

6. Spooky prints

Etsy features many different kinds of prints for a reasonable price. The online shop sells cute ones like this ghost shown above, but sellers also have creepier ones if that’s more your style. Use wall tape to ensure that there won’t be any marks left on the walls.

7. Vintage horror movie posters

There are many reprints of old horror movie posters out there, which can easily add a creepy vibe to your dorm! Check this one out on Etsy.

8. Fake spider webs

Fake spider webs are a popular Halloween decoration. This common decoration is sold at many stores at an affordable price. You can use Command Hooks to hang them if you’d like them up high on your wall.

9. Halloween sheets

There are many different sheets for Halloween that will help decorate your dorm. A popular favorite is these Halloween Hello Kitty sheets from Pottery Barn.

Although these are just a few recommendations, there are plenty of ways to decorate your room for Halloween.

Callie Whicker

American '26

I'm a political science and computer science student at AU, interested in writing!