Elaina Bade ’16 President of AU Equestrian Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus American: Tell us a little about yourself.

Elaina Bade: My name is Elaina Bade. I’m a junior majoring in public communications with a minor in marketing. I’m the president of the AU club equestrian team and a brother of Alpha Phi Omega.

HCAU: How did you become involved in the AU equestrian team?

EB: The equestrian team was the first club I joined as a freshman. Being able to ride in college was one of the things I made sure to include on my college checklist, and I jumped on the opportunity as soon as I arrived on campus.

HCAU: What made you decide to run for president?

EB: I ran for president because I really wanted to take advantage of the huge potential this team has. We’re a diverse group of students who all have a passion for riding, and yet most people don’t even know the club exists. By the time I graduate from AU, I want to leave this team feeling proud. My goal is to create a bigger atmosphere that is more than just a group of students that ride together. We’ve come so far already from where we started in 2003, and now I’m here to revamp how we do things and make the team grow.

HCAU: How could someone get involved if they were interested?

EB: There are so many ways! Email us at aueqteam@gmail.com, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter. Once you reach out to us, we will keep you updated on what the next step is.

HCAU: What is your favorite memory with the AU equestrian team?

EB: I have had so many amazing times being on this team, but I think my favorite was this past spring. I was the only person on my team to qualify for the year-end finals and continue on to the second round of three. The support my team members gave me reminded me why I love having the team aspect of horseback riding in my life. Some of them even came with me to finals, and this encouragement really helped me prepare for my rides.

HCAU: Any final words you wish to share about your organization?

EB: For the equestrians at AU who are weary of adding on a team aspect to the otherwise individual sport of riding, please give us a chance! You will be surprised at how well it works and how happy it will make you when you have a whole group of people behind your back. I’ve found some of my best friends through this team, and I want others to have the same opportunity as me while doing something you love at the same time.