Editors’ Blog: Our Favorite Parts About Being Apart of a Women-ran Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

This month is Women’s History Month and the best way to celebrate the month is to celebrate our women-ran organization. There are numerous reasons why we all love Her Campus and Her Campus at American University, however, we each have a specific reason as to why we continue to stay with HCAU.

The Empowerment

Media is male-dominated. Journalism is male-dominated. And as, not just a woman, but a queer woman, I often feel like I am continuously advocating for myself, my credentials and my work. But Her Campus, and Her Campus American, has worked to redefine the industry. 

Regardless of this organization being called “Her” Campus, we are a media platform that welcomes and encourages college students of all identities. And yes, this sounds like a pitch to get you to join Her Campus American–– but I say it because it’s true. As a student journalist, I knew from day one at college that I wanted to join a campus media organization. And I was drawn to Her Campus, not only because I felt myself improving as a reporter and making fast friends, but because it allowed me to cover issues that I felt needed media attention. It was the Her Campus American team that allowed me to feel comfortable talking about issues that directly affected me. This was anything and everything from women’s rights to the LGBTQ+ community to education. Their encouragement and the empowerment I felt have added to the confidence I never knew I could gain. Whatever I do next in journalism, I owe it to Her Campus American.

-Peyton Bigora

the community

One of the best parts about being a part of a women-ran organization is the community of women and the support they provide for one another. There is a stigma associated with many women in one room equating to drama, however, Her Campus defies that stigma. Her Campus has provided a home for me in college and has created a community that provides empowerment and support for every woman in the organization. 

The goal of Her Campus is to provide a space for any woman who joins to discuss the topics they please. Most of the time if you have one woman discussing a topic they’re interested in, you will most likely find other women in the organization who are also interested in the topic.    

The absolute best part about being a part of a women-ran organization is the ability to count on one another and relate to one another. Everyone who joins Her Campus has one thing in common, they are a woman. Each member faces the same challenges in society and Her Campus provides them the support they need through their challenges.  There is a bond created through Her Campus and the community created provides support and empowerment even after college.

-Gianna Matassa

relatable article topics

The best part of a women-ran organization is all of the amazing relatable content we produce. As an editor, I read most of the articles on the page, and thoroughly enjoy it. With women writers comes a shared perspective among all of our articles. At HCAU we cover a wide range of topics, our page displays articles about US politics, TV shows, mindfulness and AU news. However, all of these different articles were chosen, written and edited by women. 

When reading any content it is almost always more enjoyable if the author is someone the reader can relate to. Of course, this relatability does not have to be with gender; any shared experience could influence an article. Whether it’s an article discussing the newest season of “Bridgerton” or voting rights in the US, all of our articles come from a perspective that will ultimately bring women together.

-Jordyn Habib

women of the year

My favorite part about being a member of a women-ran organization is the events that we hold recognizing exceptional women in the American University community.  Her Campus’s Women of the Year event is a special night in which we highlight a stand-out woman from each of AU’s schools. The women featured at this event are pillars of our community and I am so proud to be a part of an organization that takes the time to highlight them. 

Her Campus’s Women of the Year are nominated by members of AU’s community and then decided upon by members of the Her Campus executive board. Reviewing these nominees is so inspiring for me as it gives me a chance to reflect on the accomplishments that women at AU have achieved. 

At the event, each of the nominees’ accolades are read and the winners are highlighted with a brief speech. These speeches are always so inspiring because they allow the recipients to inspire attendees in their academic and professional pursuits. 

Events such as Women of the Year are so important because they give platforms to women at AU to connect with each other and recognize their achievements. I am so proud to be a part of Her Campus because of the platforms it gives women, but also for the recognition it gives to both our members and our community. 

-Mackenzie Riley

These are just a few reasons why we love being a part of a women-ran organization and continue to cherish being a part of such a great organization, especially during Women History Month.

Peyton is a student at American University in Washington, D.C. and is HCAU's Editor in Chief. Majoring in journalism and double minoring in political science and creative writing, Peyton intends on graduating in May 2022. Peyton's goal is to write for a major news organization as a print or online journalist. She also wants to continue traveling, exploring and writing about her experiences. To learn more about her and her work, visit https://peytonbigora.wixsite.com/website .
Gianna is currently a senior at American University in Washington, D.C., and is majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at American University. Gianna enjoys writing about Women's Advocacy, Politics and Pop Culture. She also loves to travel and find hole-in-the-wall restaurants in D.C.
Jordyn Habib

American '24

Jordyn is a rising Senior at American University double majoring in CLEG and Arab World Studies. She writes about anything in terms of politics, DC news and history, as well as pop culture. She is currently serving as HCAU's President.
Mackenzie Riley

American '23

Mackenzie is a sophomore at American University studying SIS with a minor in Spanish. She loves writing poetry and exploring Washington DC in her free time, discovering new hidden gems. She enjoys writing about environmental sustainability, campus safety, and self care!