Double Major, Double Benefits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Before I settled on a college, I remember feeling stressed about another looming decision; what on earth was I going to study?! Thankfully, there is an alternative to facing the difficult decision of a major. Why pick one when you can pick two?

While adding an additional major is not a decision to be taken lightly, it is worth considering for those who are overly eager to study more than one thing. When faced with my own college decision, a huge deciding factor me was the ability to study more than one passion at my college. I wanted to dive into the world of music to learn about performing, history, theory, and possibly study abroad in one of the music capitals of the world. However, I also wanted to study within the School of Communications, expanding on my writing and public speaking skills and explore the field of public relations. Would I combine the two majors into one career? Would I pursue each separately? Would I change my mind altogether?

Having been a double major for a year now, I could not be happier with my decision.

Do you want to study something you know you have always been interested in? Does diving into an out-of-the box topic sound enticing? Maybe you are a perpetual learner, and are excited by the idea of learning as much as possible! Whatever your reason, there are plenty of benefits when it comes to choosing to pursue a double major. Consider the following reasons that I pursued mine:

1. The decision to be a double major can ease stress

Ironic, right? Think— if you are stuck between two majors, when you pick one, what is the likelihood that you will occasionally wonder if you should have chosen the other? By pursuing two degrees, though, you are freed from that limitation. You can be a doctor and a writer, a musician and politician, a journalist and a business executive. Contrasting majors do not have to be mutually exclusive. Instead, they give you the opportunity to diversify your knowledge and enhance your college experience.

2. Liberation

This may also sound surprising, considering that taking on a second or third major is synonymous with taking on more classes and a stricter set of courses for a timely graduation. However, with two majors, the possibilities are endless. Perhaps pick a “serious” major and try pairing it with an unconventional one. Take the opportunity to try something outside of your comfort zone.

3. So much to learn, so much to gain

It is a well-known fact that one of the biggest consequences of studying two subjects is the load of knowledge that comes with it. However, is an overabundance of knowledge really a bad thing? As a music and public relations double major, I am constantly studying lots of contrasting information. One hour I am reviewing chord structures and performance techniques, and the next I am reading a book on marketing design. It may sound crazy, but it is equally exciting. College is possibly the one time in your life where opportunities to learn are thrown at you and all you have to do is say yes! Consider the end result — you will emerge from college as a professional in two fields. You will have learned so much, and will enter the real world with a deep understanding of more than one topic.

Additionally, ponder all of the classes that you can take. Though it may be a bit time consuming to plan out the classes you need to complete your degrees (and graduate in decent time), most of the classes you take will fall in the category of one or both of your majors. You will likely look for general education credits that satisfy the university requirements and your majors. Also, electives will probably also fall in your major fields so that they can also count towards your degrees. By studying two subjects, you are fully delving into those subjects, and you can only emerge smarter and wiser as the result.

4. Some words of advice

Though we all know that most collegiates will not have a solid career plan until post-graduation, it is important to at least have a vision that you can verbally convey. Even if you are not sure what you want to do with both of your majors (or why you chose the two you did), it is best, especially when going into an interview, to have an explanation for your choices prepared. Are you considering combining the two into one career path? Do you hope to work in two fields separately but simultaneously? Will one help you enhance your abilities and knowledge in the other? Consider these points — the answers may be helpful to you as well.

As always, if you are considering a double major or would like to discuss it, consider setting up an appointment with your academic advisor or speaking with a professor. The process will be more pleasant if you approach it with a plan of action.

Deciding on a double major has given me an exciting, inspiring and motivating beginning to my college experience. The decision to double major can be the perfect solution with the right plan, a hunger for learning and an optimistic mindset.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3