The Dos and Don’ts of Quadding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Quadding (v.): to occupy a space on the Eric Friedheim Quadrangle

Quadding isn’t an AU tradition—it’s a way of life. Every spring, students flock to the quad to soak up some sun and enjoy the fresh air. To the naked eye, it appears to simply be a vast, grassy area in the middle of campus, but to the AU student, it’s oh so much more than that. It’s a place to see and be seen. It’s where sunglasses are required, picnic blankets are optional and the burgeoning stress of finals is prohibited. Whether you are a quadding novice or expert, practice proper etiquette by following these basic guidelines. 

1. DO eat outside.

Why do you think boxed lunches exist? Grab a sandwich for a picnic on the quad. You need to use up those meal swipes anyway.

2. DON’T leave trash.

Self-explanatory. Have some manners. 

3. DO wear sunscreen.

A sunburn from quadding has “newbie” written all over it. Take care of your skin and slather on the SPF. 

4. DON’T wear a bikini.

Save your swimsuit for the Jacobs pool. Nothing could be more awkward than tanning in your two-piece while professors, professionals and and parents stroll by. Opt for shirts, shorts or sundresses instead, and you won’t be swimming in embarrassment.

5. DO play a sport.

The key is to keep it casual. Play catch, throw a frisbee or pass a football. Just make sure you can throw it well…

6. DON’T hit people.

Thou shalt not hit the innocent passer-by. First and foremost, people cross the quad to get places. Be especially conscious of those around you during high traffic passing periods. Hit-and-runs are never okay, even if you accidentally drop the ball.

7. DO sit with your friends.

Let’s be real: The quad is the ultimate social scene. Take a study break and relax with your friends before it’s time to part for the summer. 

8. DON’T be loud or obnoxious.

Don’t be that guy. Be respectful of your fellow quadders and don’t cause a scene. 

9. DO study outside.

Ask your TA to hold the study session outside—especially if your class has anything to do with the environment and sustainability. Absorb some sunlight and your study guide. 

10. DON’T skip exams.

We know you’d rather sit on the quad than sit in class, but missing a final is simply unacceptable. Really.

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.