Don’t Quote Me On This, But…: A Guide to Avoiding Plagiarism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Thanksgiving is looming and finishing up that research paper is the last thing you need to accomplish before enjoying these few days of freedom. Now is not the time to cut any corners, however, whether intentionally or accidentally.

Plagiarism is taking someone else’s ideas and claiming them as your own without proper credit given to the original author through a citation. Plagiarism can range from copying and pasting an entire paragraph from the Internet, to simply forgetting to cite a sentence or thought. Either way, the consequences of plagiarism can not only scar your college reputation but could also lead to academic probation or even expulsion, so it is important to cite your work properly. Here are some tips to help you do so. 

Don’t Procrastinate: Many students put assignments off until the last minute. Once panic sets in, a student may realize that they now have four hours to complete an eight page paper, mathematically leaving little time for a bathroom break, especially if you are living at the far end of the hallway (froshies). Proper citation requires more than plugging your article and book sources into EasyBib.com.

Different citation formats exist: Some common formats requested include APA, MLA and Chicago. Make sure you are using the correct one for your professor’s preferences. Pay attention to your teacher’s instructions regarding footnotes or in-text citations, since citations can be an easy way to gain or lose points on a major assignment. 

Be careful HOW you cite: AKA how you use another person’s ideas. For example:

• When paraphrasing, never use more than three words in a row verbatim. Always put the idea into your own words. If you have used more than three words verbatim, you will need to add quotation marks.
  • When your citation involves quotes, (when three or more words being used verbatim from another source) the addition of page numbers or paragraph numbers from web content will usually be required. Also, be aware that most instructors will deduct points for using large “blocks” of quotes (35 words or more). 
  • Finally, it is also necessary to cite your own previous work, believe it or not. In the ugly world of plagiarism, this is referred to as “self-plagiarism”. There are endless sources for rules regarding plagiarism and formatting. If you have additional questions, Purdue Owl is a great place to start.

In an emergency situation, ask for an extension. And yes, the fact that you have waited until the last possible moment to start your paper is an emergency. Most decent students with a valid reason and a merciful instructor can get an extension granted to them – even if it is just 24 hours. Keep in mind this usually works one time per instructor, so choose your extension request carefully.

Plagiarism detection software is used today on most campuses, so don’t find yourself in hot water. WriteCheck, Plagtracker and Paperrater are just a few services which can help students identify missed citations in their papers. But be careful, they are not 100% guaranteed and the educators have their own set of tools for detecting plagiarized material, such as Turnitin and Dustball to name a few.

Lastly, if an extension cannot be obtained, do not resort to plagiarizing. A poor grade always trumps a zero and a meeting with the Academic Integrity Honor Council. Bite the bullet and try to make up for the bad assignment on your next opportunity. 

Photo Credits:

http://oliveharveycollegelibraryguides.pbworks.com/f/1337012180/plagiarism.gif

http://languageteachingtips.fi…