The Do’s and Don’ts of Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Tinder is a mobile app where you can connect with singles within a set radius. Using Facebook pictures and basic info to set up a profile, it is essentially the Grindr for straight people. Though it’s exciting at first, there are a couple of things to keep in mind while swiping left and right on your phone.

1. DO go through every picture they have on Tinder.

In order to get a full understanding of what they look like and the kind of person they are, look through all their pictures because it’s easy to make one angle not reflect who the person actually is.

2. DON’T respond to every message sent to you.

These guys are flipping through hundreds of girls’ profiles and messaging several others while talking to you, therefore, don’t waste your time by trying to get to know everyone. Wait for guys or girls to message you first!

3. DO respond to people that you could potentially see yourself dating.

If this guy looks like someone you could see yourself with or at least want to get to know better, than respond back to them! Therefore follow rule #2 and only talk to high quality guys or girls.

4. DON’T use an old picture of yourself.

Keep your profile picture current! Even if the best picture you have of yourself is from senior year of high school or even the toddler years, don’t use it.  Most Tinder-ers are swiping through profiles so quickly that looking so young could be a deal breaker. Also DON’T catfish. Don’t use pictures that aren’t of yourself, because it could end up hurting feelings if the two of you meet.

5. DO give out your phone number extremely sparingly.

On Tinder if someone gets annoying, it’s pretty easy to block someone. However if you give everyone your phone number, it won’t be as easy to block him. Unless you are planning to meet up or are really interested in each and have been talking on Tinder for a solid couple of weeks, do not give out your phone number.

6. DON’T expect a serious relationship out of tinder

Keep in mind that the majority of men on Tinder are not looking for their bride-to-be. It is primarily used by most as a hook up app; therefore keep that in mind when talking to anyone on Tinder.

7. DO use it to get to know people and have fun

Especially when you have mutual friends with your Tinder matches, it’s fun to get to know them. It’s also a great icebreaker to bring up your mutual friend or mutual things you have “liked” on Facebook. If you don’t expect much, you won’t be disappointed. So have fun and don’t take Tinder too seriously.

8. DON’T get Tinder while in a relationship. 

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Repeat: DO NOT get Tinder while in a relationship. Someone might say that they are getting one just to see what it’s like or that they are just looking not touching, but this app opens the gateway. Someone is going to get curious and innocently message a random person and then lose hope in the relationship which may end it.

Photo Credits:

http://mireilleo.imgur.com/all/#1

http://u-note.me/note/47486323

Mireille Olivo is a senior at American University studying Public Communication with a minor in health promotion. She is a self-proclaimed southern belle, sunset enthusiast, avid rock climber, Quentin Tarantino fan, and smiler.  When she isn't writing for HCAU, y'all can find her giving tours or strolling alongside the Potomac river. After graduation, Mireille plans on pursuing a career in public relations for the political movement.