DC Student’s Guide to the Library of Congress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The Library of Congress is an iconic Washington, D.C. site full of tourists and academics alike. For the students who want to explore or get your reader’s card at this historic library, here’s your guide to taking advantage of all it has to offer! 

The History of the Library of Congress

According to The Library of Congress, the origins of the library began in 1800 in an act of Congress that provided $5,000 for books for the use of members. It also created a Joint Congressional Committee that would maintain oversight of the library. Through the 19th and 20th centuries, the library grew in resources and size despite many challenges like a fire, lack of staff, and no designated space for the large number of books being amassed. The library as we know it today was directly shaped by Ainsworth Rand Spofford. As the sixth librarian for the Library of Congress, he was instrumental in centralizing the U.S. copyright office, instituting the idea for a designated library building, and making the library accessible to the public, not just for people in Congress. The structure, following an Italian Renaissance style, was the largest library in the world when it opened in 1897 and it only continued to grow through the early 20th century.

Today, the library serves as a non-partisan resource for members of Congress, their staff, government employees, and the public. 

How to Plan Your Visit to The Library

Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, you have to reserve a timed-entry pass to enter the Thomas Jefferson Building (the main building of the library, located across from the Capitol building). This pass is free for anyone and will allow you to explore the library for as long as you need with only a time restriction as to when you enter. It simply ensures that a controlled number of people are entering the building at one time. 

To reserve your pass, you can go to the Library of Congress website or click this link. The link will take you to a calendar where you can choose your timeslot beginning at 10:00 a.m. and ending at 3:00 p.m. in 15 minute increments. The timed passes are available 30 days in advance and it is recommended to plan ahead because the passes can get taken up quickly, especially as tourist season begins.

How to Enter the Library and What You Can Do Inside

The Library of Congress is located at 101 Independence Ave SE which is across the street from the back of the Capitol building and next to the Supreme Court. To get there, the nearest metro stop is “Capitol South” which services the orange, blue and silver lines. Exit the station using the main exit and walk two blocks north on First Street SE. For students coming from American University or those on the red line who don’t want to switch lines, the “Union Station” stop is a half mile walk up First Street NE. If you are taking a bus, the closest lines to the library entrance are the 32 and 36 but other routes can be found on the WMATA map

To enter the building, you need to go through a metal detector and have your timed-entry pass ready to show the employees at the desk. After checking in, the library has provided themed pathways so you can go on a self-guided tour of the building. At this time, there are no guided tours available but there is staff ready to assist with any questions you may have. The library encourages you to explore, visit the gift shop, and learn about the building and the history preserved within. 

How to Get Your Reader’s Card

The reader’s card is open to anyone who wishes to use the library’s resources such as books, computers, and research materials. The card is free and valid for two years but is limited to those 16 and above and those who have a valid form of identification.

To get your library card for the first time, you need to get a timed-entry pass or confirmed reading room appointment. To get your timed-entry pass, you can follow the same instructions above. To get a reading room appointment to renew or receive your card, you can call the phone number for the Main Reading Room or use the online Ask-a -Librarian service. After making an appointment, through the library or the reading room, you can follow the same steps of entering the library as you would if you were visiting. Except, when you enter, you can tell the staff at the front desk that you are going to the reading room and they will guide you upstairs to the registration desk.

Once at the registration desk, the librarians will ask if you pre-registered. If you have access to the internet at home, it is highly suggested that you fill out the pre-registration form beforehand instead of on-site because it saves time. However, if you cannot do this step, they will provide you with a computer to do so. The registration staff will then take your picture and print your ID card and then you’ll officially be a reader at the Library of Congress!

Now that you have your reader’s card, you can visit the library and its reading rooms whenever you wish. All you have to do is follow the same steps outlined above by either calling the reading room number or asking a librarian online. The Main Reading Room is available Monday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. but there are also subject specific rooms accessible with appointments.

Washington has so many unique and historical opportunities to offer students and the Library of Congress is one of them. It is not only an exciting place to visit but can also be extremely academically helpful! Happy studying!

Grace Musilli

American '23

Grace Musilli is a senior at American University majoring in Communications, Legal Institutions, Economics, and Government (CLEG). She is also part of Politics, Policy, and Law (PPL), a three year scholars program, as well as the School of Public Affairs Leadership program. Grace is passionate about education equality and justice among other issues like women's' rights and the environment. She is currently a section editor and writer for HCAU and located in Washington D.C.