This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Your favorite brand could be testing on animals, but there are many ethical alternatives out there.

With so many makeup brands to choose from, it can be hard to figure out which brands align with ethical practices. 

Animal testing in the U.S has been in practice since the 1930s. In 1938, the United States Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act was established, requiring companies to test the safety of their products to verify safe consumer use. Many companies turned to and were sometimes even required to use animal testing as a result.

Over 41 countries around the world have passed laws to limit or ban animal testing of both cosmetic ingredients and finished products. In the U.S, only a few states like Maryland, Virginia, and California have also banned cosmetic animal testing.

Still, these practices are still prevalent nationwide. The animal testing industry is currently valued as a $10.74 billion market and is estimated to grow annually. Today, over 200 cosmetic brands in the U.S are currently using animal testing as a way to ensure thier products can be sold to consumers. 

It is important to consider ways that we as consumers can minimize the harmful treatment of animals and invest in the ethical cosmetic brands of the beauty industry. Here are some of the most popular cosmetic brands that are continuing to test on animals today and also some of my personal favorite alternative brands that engage in cruelty-free practices. 

Brands to Avoid and Their Alternatives

1. Bath & Body Works

Alternative: C.O. Bigelow

As America’s oldest apothecary brand, C.O Bigelow announced that they are a fully cruelty-free brand and does not sell its products to places where animal testing is required by law. 

Must-haves: Rose Salve Tin, West Village Rose Body Cream- No. 2030

1. Clinique

Alternative: bareMinerals

bareMinerals products contain no chemicals, preservatives, or fragrances that can be harmful to the skin. What’s even better? They do absolutely no animal testing for any of their ingredients or products. Definitely added to my list of must-have brands!

Must-haves: Lashtopia Mascara, Endless Glow Highlighter

1. L’Oreal 

Alternative: Glossier

This UK brand experienced massive popularity with its launch of makeup and skin care products back in 2017. A statement from their website declares their commitment to being a 100% cruelty-free brand that does not test on animals at any stage of their product development. 

Must-haves: Boy Brow pomade, Balm Dotcom lip balm

1. MAC

Alternative: Afterglow Cosmetics

This brand offers not only 100% cruelty-free products, but they sell completely organic, mineral makeup as well as a gluten-free lip product option.

Must-haves: Loose Mineral Foundation

If you are someone who cares about the fate of innocent animals at the hands of large corporations, shopping ethically is an important cause to invest in. Saying no to brands that harm animals and engage in cruel testing procedures is an important step toward the outlaw of such practices everywhere. We all can help, one product at a time!

Alex Ziada

American '24

Alexandra is a senior studying legal institutions, economics, and government at American University. Other than writing, she is passionate about singing, writing music, criminal justice issues, and photography. Alexandra is currently a feature writer for HCAU.