Christmas Around the Quad, Day 4: School of International Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The School of International Service may have the newest building on the quad, but this playlist actually features some of the oldest songs on our list. All these songs feature a core theme of internationalism and service in some way. So, do your service! Whether you are in SIS or not, and share the fair-trade, eco-conscious, non-sweatshop produced, international peace and love by tweeting @HerCampusAU with the hashtag #AUPlaylist if you have any ideas for your school! 

Someday at Christmas by Stevie Wonder

Something about the Christmas season makes it hard to pass by the Salvation Army workers outside the grocery store without giving money.  You feel more compelled to give money to the homeless man on the corner or to donate a toy for a child’s Christmas present.  These charitable events can help build the world that Stevie Wonder is singing about in his classic song.  

Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth by Bing Crosby & David Bowie

Here is our final version of “Little Drummer Boy” featured in this series. With this tune, Mr. Christmas meets Ziggy Stardust, literally. Highly unexpected but yet poignant and emotional, this duet joins crooner Bing with radical glam rock artist David Bowie for this mashup (it’s probably where Glee got all their mashup ideas from). It’s a nod to the past with a hope for the future, something a lot of SIS majors can appreciate. 

Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lennon

Back in 1969, John Lennon and the lovely (and popular) Yoko Ono rented billboards around the world and plastered the words “War is Over, If You Want It” across them.  Their song lyrics continued their non-violent social movement towards peace during the time of unpopular war in Vietnam.  So while you SIS-ers are working on your Intro. To Peace and Conflict final, listen to this former Beatles’ plea for peace.

Do They Know It’s Christmas? by Band Aid

This song is one of the first examples of celebrity created aid for development.  Created in response to famine in Ethiopia, this song, which features super famous singers decked out in their 1980’s garb, could either inspire or get development students blood boiling.  All SIS students want to “Feed the World”, but what about imposing Christmas on cultures that don’t celebrate it? Yikes, sounds like a great final exam question for an International Development class.  

Elf’s Lament by the Barenaked Ladies (sweatshops)

Have SIS majors ever considered the labor conditions up at the North Pole? Elves have to make toys all year long, at the NORTH POLE. Do you know how cold it must be up there? They sing “We’re used to repetition, so we drew up a petition/We, the undersigned, feel undermined/Let’s redefine ‘employment.’” We expect some International Economic Relations or International Development specializations to take up this cause with “Eggnog for Elves” and protest at Kogod soon. 

Silent Night/7 O’Clock News- Simon and Garfunkel

Our dear roommate, Khine, recommended this one to us (see people, if you tweet at us, we will take your suggestions!)  Although, we already posted a Silent Night remake for SIS, this one was worth posting because it is so unique.  In the background of the song is an actual news report from 1966.  The irony of the song with the newscast makes for a really emotional listening experience.  So get your Kleenex out for this tearjerker.  Make sure you only use one though.  We have some trees to save!

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.