Cassie, Portrait
Cassie, Portrait
Sophie Rodrique
Life > Experiences

Campus Cutie: Cassie Rodrique ’24

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Name: Cassie Rodrique

Hometown: Harleysville, PA

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science

Minors: Environmental Science and Sustainability 

Her Campus American: What has been your favorite thing to do in DC so far this school year?

Cassie Rodrique: My favorite thing to do in DC so far this school year has been going to different protests downtown. So far, I have gone to the Fridays for Futures Climate strike on Sept. 24. I also went to the march for abortion rights on Oct. 2. On Oct. 15, I attended the People vs. Fossil Fuels protest at the capitol as well. I love being in a city where I can go to these actions and support causes that I really care about. 

HCAU: Who do you look up to the most at AU and what qualities do you love about that person?

CR: The person I look up to the most at AU is my Environmental Science professor, Sauleh Siddiqui. He is one of the best, most engaging professors I have had and his energy and passion for the environment is most inspiring to me. He is also leading a multi-million dollar project to tackle the food waste problem in the United States, which is a topic I am very interested in as well. 

HCAU: What would be your perfect day? Plan it out from waking up to bedtime.

CR: Suddenly, I would be awake at 7 am. Then, I would have some coffee and head to the gym for a 90-minute workout of lifting. Then, I would come back to my dorm and get ready for the day and have my daily oatmeal for breakfast. I would then spend some time doing some kind of homework or going to class so that I would feel productive. Next, I would go for a nice walk while listening to my favorite podcast, Dissect. My walk would lead me to Trader Joe’s where I would do some shopping. I would love to end the day by going out to dinner with my friends at Guapo’s and then relaxing by myself with a cup of tea and The Office or Parks and Recreation. 

HCAU: Which celebrity would you want as your other BFF and why?

CR: The celebrity I would want as my BFF is Miley Cyrus because she is the most laid-back and open celebrity I know. I grew up watching Miley on Hannah Montana and now I am a massive fan of her music. I just feel like I would love hanging out with Miley and she seems like one of the most genuine and authentic celebrities. 

HCAU: What work do you do as an intern for the American University Office of Sustainability?

CR: As an intern for the Office of Sustainability at American University, I help run the EcoRep program. The EcoRep program is an initiative of over 40 student volunteers that help spread knowledge about sustainability on campus. We lead campaigns such as the EcoPledge Campaign and the Campus Cup Campaign. My work with the office is based around event coordination, event planning, staffing and outreach, and behind-the-scenes work to make the program run smoothly.

HCAU: What do you wish more people knew about sustainability on campus?

CR: One thing I wish more people knew about sustainability on campus is how important it is to sort waste to the best of your ability. Composting all food scraps, napkins, paper towels, and pizza boxes is so important to divert as much waste as possible from going to the landfill. Being more sustainable is not as hard as it seems; in fact, it is super easy to take a few simple steps that can make a big impact. 

Biden, no voted for fossil fuels
Eman Mohammed

HCAU: What’s your favorite bookstore in DC and why?

CR: My favorite bookstore in DC is Politics and Prose. I love the idea of this bookstore because I am very passionate about politics, so it is a perfect place for me to indulge in my interests! It also has a café in it, and I am a coffee-lover so that makes it even better. 

HCAU: What are you most looking forward to during this semester?

CR: I am looking forward to creating memories with my friends this semester. With last year’s remote style, it was certainly difficult as a freshman to feel like I was making genuine connections and memories. Now that we are on campus, it is so exciting and fun to make even more meaningful memories with new friends. 

HCAU: What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?

CR: Something that most people don’t know about me is that I’ve played piano for almost 10 years. I’ve performed at many recitals and it was one of my favorite hobbies throughout middle and high school. It’s definitely something I plan on continuing throughout my life!

HCAU: Where can we keep up with you and the Office of Sustainability? Online Portfolio? Social accounts?

CR: You can find the Office of Sustainability at @thegreenau on Instagram. You can find me on Instagram at @cassierodrique! :)  

(She/Her/Hers) Sophie is a senior at American University in Washington, DC majoring in Public Relations & Strategic Communication with minors in Graphic Design and Marketing. Currently, Sophie serves as the Graphic Design and Communications Intern for AU's Office of Sustainability, and as a freelance designer. ​In her free time, she likes to go on hikes, discover new music, explore DC, travel, take photos, spend time with her family, doodle, hang out with her friends, and focus on personal health and well-being.