Life > Experiences

Breaking: Students React to University’s Email Regarding Recent Antisemitic Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The University responded to an incident from last week regarding antisemitic graffiti in an email today from Dr. Fanta Aw, the vice president of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence at American, claiming that this is a “possible” antisemitic incident. The subject line of the email is “Update on Possible Antisemitic Incident”.

There is incredible backlash amongst students for the term “possible” being used in the email as many students see these symbols as most definitely being tied to antisemitism.

On Friday, Sept. 10, The Eagle, an American University publication, released an article sharing that antisemitic graffiti had been found on campus two days prior. The published article highlighted that the incident took place in Anderson Hall, a first-year dorm, and showed the graffiti which included an SS bolt, two swastikas, and a Jewish star. From the perspective of many students on campus, this vandalism is quite obviously targeted towards the Jewish community.

This incident occurred between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, two of the holiest holidays on the Jewish calendar. With the release of this article on Friday, many Jewish students found out about the graffiti at a Shabbat dinner. Students were left in shock and wanted to know what the University was going to do. Jewish students agreed that they could not hide their Judaism and instead needed to be more proud of it, leading many to speak up about antisemitism on campus.

“It should not have taken the university almost a week to respond to such blatant antisemitism. What’s worse, they called it “possible antisemitism.” A swastika and SS bolt are not possibly antisemitism. They are the same symbols that lead the Nazis to murder my family for just being Jewish. With a Jewish population of 20%, I expected the University to do more,” said Michal Cohen, a senior at American as well as the Chief Marketing Officer for Jewish on Campus. 

“It was immensely frustrating and disgusting that this has occurred. Their use of “possible” to be used in the email minimizes the harm done and invalidates the struggles of the students affected. Their safety was violated. They have to consider that this sets a precedent for the future as we transition back in person. Do we have to question our safety as well in future instances of discrimination? I can’t honestly say that I am surprised by their response and how they are handling it,” said a student who wishes to remain anonymous.

Students on campus, especially those who identify as Jewish, are completely disheartened and appalled by the University’s response to this incident. Not only did this email aim to downplay the situation, but it also failed to mention how the University will ensure the safety of Jewish students on campus. 

Jackie Lamb, a senior at American University shares a sentiment that is common among many students. “The fact that Fanta Aw downplayed this deplorable act of hatred and vandalism as “possibly” being antisemitic instead of calling it what it is — which is a direct attack upon Jewish students and the Jewish community at large — is beyond disappointing. For a university that prides itself on diversity and inclusion, AU should be taking this matter much more seriously instead of sending out some boilerplate response that’s devoid of emotion or promise.” 

This incident, as well as the University’s response, is leaving many Jewish students feeling unsafe on campus. 

Students such as Shayna Rutman “don’t really have any words about the anger and frustration and disappointment [they are] feeling.” Shayna shares that she “ feel[s] betrayed and unsafe because [she] doesn’t understand what this school thinks antisemitism is if drawing swastikas isn’t one of the most severe forms.”

Students who are unsatisfied with the University’s response have banned together to sign an open letter to American University’s Administration. This letter is open to all students and alumni. 

Gabrielle (she/her/hers) is a sophomore at American University majoring in elementary education and minoring in Spanish. She has been a writer since Fall 2020 and is the publishing director for our print magazine for Fall 2021. In her free time, she enjoys working with children and supporting diverse learners.