Culture > News

Breaking News: Car Flips on Massachusetts Avenue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Midafternoon on Saturday, there was a vehicle crash on Massachusetts Avenue located between the Department of Homeland Security and Westover Place. 

Many paused in shock as they walked by and saw a Honda sedan flipped over with the driver’s door wide open. 

Cars continued to drive around the vehicle before police closed off the road between the Berkshire Apartments and Ward Circle. Closing off the road allowed police to investigate the scene and prevent another incident.

The guard working at Westover Place walked out of his booth immediately after hearing the crash. He shared with Her Campus that traffic had been moving at a normal speed prior to the incident. Too many cars were on the road for it to be a possibility that the driver was speeding, he recalled.

The guard also shared that the driver of the flipped vehicle left the scene after the crash. Ambulances and police cars could be heard around the area as they searched for the driver.

Gabrielle (she/her/hers) is a sophomore at American University majoring in elementary education and minoring in Spanish. She has been a writer since Fall 2020 and is the publishing director for our print magazine for Fall 2021. In her free time, she enjoys working with children and supporting diverse learners.