Culture > News

Breaking News: A Car Drives into Outdoor Seating at The Parthenon Restaurant, Leaving 2 Dead and Multiple Injured

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Two people have died after an SUV crashed into the outdoor seating area at The Parthenon, a restaurant in Northwest Washington, D.C.

The Greek restaurant was surrounded by debris as patrons layed on the ground awaiting help and first responders rushed to the scene. 

Sources differ in numbers, but around eight people were injured and three remained in critical condition on Friday evening, according to Washington police and fire officials. Two women died as a result of the collision.  

The driver of the SUV lost control of the vehicle while heading north on Connecticut Avenue. 

Witnesses say that the driver looked confused as to why his vehicle would not stop. The vehicle accelerated quickly, jumping the curb and smashing into the seating area. 

At the time of the accident, around 16 people were seated at The Parthenon’s outdoor seating. 

Duncan Bedlion, a police commander in the district, described the driver to the Washington Post as an older man who was alone in the vehicle. He has been cooperating with investigators since the incident. 

Karlee Zolman

American '24

Karlee (she/her) is a fourth year student at American University, majoring in Journalism. This is Karlee's third year writing for Her Campus and first year as AU's print co-editor. In her free time, Karlee enjoys writing, dancing and going to concerts in DC!