This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Book Buying Gift Guide

Gift-giving can get tricky in the holiday season but books can be a great personal gift for everyone in your life. Here are some recommendations for relatives and friends that can be hard to shop for and where you can purchase them to support independent bookstores this December. 

A Stocking Stuffer Book

Sayaka Murata’s English-language debut is small but mighty. The surprising and heartwarming tale of Keiko Furukura’s life in the convenience store is a great addition to any present or stocking this holiday season. 

The Perfect Generic Yankee Swap Book

While this book has big shoes to fill following the major success of“Becoming” , this new book of stories and advice has something for everyone. 

A Book for Your Best Friend

This guiding light for those struggling in their early twenties is the perfect gift for anyone who enjoys wit, insight and authentic heart in the books they read. 

The Perfect Book for a Reluctant Reader 

Despite the ironic title, this fun romance is the perfect page-turner for the reluctant reader with a satisfying ending that will leave them wanting more. 

A Book for Your Mom 

This stunning memoir from Japanese Breakfast singer Michelle Zauner is a beautiful and tragic look at a mother-daughter relationship. It will tug at the heartstrings but articulates the unique nature of this family relationship like no other.

A Book for Your Cool Grandma

This Booker Prize-winner tells the stories of multiple voices through different times and different places – a cool concept for that cool grandma. 

A Book for Your Uncool Grandma

Not that this book isn’t also cool, but it’s a safer bet for the less predictable grandparent.

A Book for Your Dad Who Only Reads Nonfiction 

Is this book at the top of my own father’s wish list this year? Yes. Does he absolutely love extremely dense and fact-packed non-fiction? Also yes. 

A Book for Your Younger Sister

Set in the 1950s this teen romance follows the stories of two girls whose paths intertwine one night at the Telegraph Club. 

A Book for Your Younger Brother 

An action-packed dystopian page-turner for your little brother who loves all things adventure and danger. 

A Book for a Sports Fan 

As the World Cup takes over this holiday season, why not gift the sports lover in your life this book all about the greatest soccer players?

A Book for the Token Theatre Kid

The perfect mystery for that drama-loving person in your life. M.L. Rio combines love, murder and just the right amount of Shakespeare. 

A Book for the Cousin You Haven’t Seen Since Last Year

One of the biggest books of the year is a must-read for anyone who grew up in the days of “iCarly” and “Sam and Cat.” Jennette McCurdy’s writing style is hilarious, heartbreaking and easy to follow; this memoir is a great gift for that distant cousin. 

A Book for Your Friend Who Reads a Lot 

On an unnamed island, objects begin to disappear. First hats, then ribbons, birds and roses. This haunting Orwellian novel about the terrors of state surveillance will make a great gift for the reader in your life.

A Book for Your Favorite Teacher 

A heartfelt story about the value of education and the impact that special teachers can have on their students. 

A Book for Your Friend That Takes Game Night a Little Too Seriously 

Do you know the person that just goes a little too hard at Bananagrams? The one who acts like there has been a real murder when playing Clue? The latest novel from Taylor Jenkins Reid explores Carrie Soto’s ferocity and determination and it is the perfect book for that competitive person. 

A Book for a Person Who Claims They Never Cry

This book is about hockey but Backman creates a world where it means so much more. When a tragedy occurs people’s loyalties, morals and friendships are tested. Keep the tissues close because it’s a tear-jerker and a perfect read for the winter. 

Gift Audio Books

The perfect gift for anyone who listens to their books. Libro.fm is an audiobook platform that directly supports independent bookstores, has bookseller curated playlists and has an option to gift an audiobook credit bundle

If none of these are what you are looking for head to Indie Bound to find your local independent where booksellers will be happy to help you out. As the holidays approach stay warm with a good book and buy local!

Caroline is a sophomore at American University majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Literature. She loves all things books, theater, and dance. Caroline is currently a Feature Writer for HCAU living in DC.