Best D.C. Restaurants on a Collegiette™ Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

When you normally think of a college diet, Ramen noodles immediately spring to mind. However, AU collegiettes™ are lucky enough to live in D.C. and have an array of restaurants and choices. Yet with this variety comes a lot of restaurants that aren’t suitable for a college budget. Never fear because there are restaurants that will allow you and your wallet to enjoy the night out on the town! 

Chef Geoff’s Happy Hour

A mere five minute walk from AU’s campus, Chef Geoff’s is a familiar stomping ground for students and faculty alike. Why? Because of its friendly atmosphere and oh yeah, their awesome happy hour deals! Chef Geoff’s is famous for its burgers and Supermugs of beer. Even if you are under 21, you can still enjoy Chef Geoff’s menu! Their signature bistro burger is only $5.95 and comes with an enormous pile of french fries. I am that girl who puts an absurd amount of ketchup on her fries but with CG’s fries, ketchup is not necessary. They are THAT good! Plus, the bistro burger is pretty large so I only eat half and voila, I get 2 meals out of 1. Where else in D.C. can you have such a great deal? 

Alero’s Happy Hour 

Interning in Dupont Circle? By the time 5 o’clock or, let’s be honest, 6 o’clock rolls around and you’re still at work, your stomach is grumbling! You think that if you don’t eat before taking the bus back to Tenleytown, your stomach might start eating itself. We’ve all been there. 

Luckily, Alero on Connecticut has a happy hour deal on Fridays 3-7 p.m. that includes $5 quesadillas plus bottomless chips & salsa. I don’t know about you but I could always fill up on those chips and salsa, they’re just so tasty! Alero is a great option if you’re looking to eat out with breaking the bank. 

Wisey’s

I first learned about Wisey’s in my second semester of freshman year and I never looked back. Nestled in a small store on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown, Wisey’s is a quirky and fun place to eat with friends. They have an assortment of $7 paninis and wraps, my personal favorite is the Hoya wrap with turkey, lettuce, tomato and honey mustard in a sun dried tomato tortilla. Yum! I’m getting hungry just thinking about it! However, the best part about Wisey’s would undoubtedly be their Oreo cookie. “What?,” you’re thinking, “She’s excited about a simple Oreo?” Well, the Wisey’s Oreo cookie is not a regular Oreo but crumbled up Oreo cookies baked into a sugar cookie. Cue the Hallelujah chorus. The best part? If you go on Campusfood.com as I’m sure many of you do, you can click on their specials and get a free Oreo cookie with your order! It doesn’t get much better than that. 

The beauty of living in D.C. is that although it can seem much more expensive than your high school friends’ college hangouts, you have the advantage of being in a city filled with great deals! You just need to do your homework to figure out where they are. 

Lauren is in her senior year of college at American University in Washington, D.C., majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. A few of her favorite things include: reading, blogging (http://dcgirlinpearls.wordpress.com), social media (@DCGirlinPearls), politics, shopping, trying out new recipes, pearls and everything pink & green! She also loves college football, even though AU doesn't have a football team. After graduation, Lauren hopes to work in public relations for an agency.