This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

There are so many shades of color. Whether they are dark, light-skinned or fairly tan, women of color struggle differently with their own beauty problems. We live in a world where pop culture focuses heavily on white beauty standards, but it’s important to understand that all colors of the human race have their own beauty struggles. This article will address some of the beauty standards we thave to deal with on a regular basis. There is more to beauty than just one color.

Keeping people from touching our hair

When people ask if they can touch our hair, we sometimes just look at them because we do not know what to say. Women of color put so much effort put into their luscious, curly locks. The struggle to find a common ground in fixing our hair is even beyond us sometimes.

Choosing between Mac and Urban Decay

When and if we ever find our ‘right’ shade, we will be sure to let you know because it isn’t easy. As I mentioned previously, there are so many shades of color. And, cosmetics brands have not figured it all out yet. Most of us usually end up mixing all the products to get a blended color that matches our skin tone. In other words, women of color tend to be in-between two or even three colors. 

Finding a skin care routine

It does not matter how may times women of color put on lotion-keeping our skin moisturized throughout the day is a challenge. Cocoa and shea butter since tend to be the best at locking in the moisture. The more we apply, the dewier the skin looks.

Experimenting with color popping 

Whether it’s pastels, nudes, or neon colors, we can make a bold statement work with almost any color. More people of color have been tryng out adding pops of color to contrast their darker skin by dying their hair a lighter shade.  Finding the right pop of color for your particular shade of skin is a process, but it’s well worth it! 

But, we tend to age better

Despite our unique beauty problems, women of color also seem to look younger because of the pigmentation in our skin. It’s a sort of radiant glow that we are fortunate to have. It is often easy to pass as being younger than we really are.

Photo credits: 12345

Samah is junior at American University, with an eccentric laugh and optimisic demeanor. She is bilingal and pursuing a degree in Arabic World Studies. She hopes to continue writing for Her Campus, wherever life may take her. Her hobbies include: cleaning, dancing, reading, eating, and folding laundry. You can follow her on Twitter @Samaoas.