This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

All of the women who competed in the pageant surrounding the 2015 winner of Miss D.C., Haely Jardas. Photo by Bruce Guthrie.

In an industry that profits off of the judgment of women, one could say that Miss D.C. is perpetuated by the male gaze. Anna Wheeler, a rising junior at AU studying International Service and Economics and a contestant in this years Miss D.C., believes pageants do not perpetuate the male gaze and are innately feminist. Miss District of Columbia Scholarship Organization had its annual pageant competition on June 14. Her Campus American University met with Wheeler to speak with her about on her thoughts about pageantry.

Her Campus American University: Why did you decide to join the Miss District of Columbia Organization?

Anna Wheeler: I competed in two pageants in high school and they were a lot of fun. I won Miss Ponte Vedra in Florida at my high school’s competition and won. I then went on to Miss North East Florida and topped within the best 10 as a senior. I always thought it would be cool to compete in a state level.

As far as Miss D.C. specifically, a board of people interested in the arts came together to keep Miss D.C. alive when they were in a financial rut. They place a very high importance in helping every girl become more successful in every way. Not just helping you with pageants, but with expanding girls’ horizons and giving us as many opportunities as possible. I went to a reception with the Heely Foundation and met the president. I got her business card. I also got a business card from one of the board members.

This specific organization is great with networking. They have a very good mock-interview program. Interviewing is something I’m good at but something I can improve on. It’s more than just winning. You’re not just going to spend the money and time to win, you do it for the people you meet and experiences you have.

Wheeler competing in the swimsuit portion of Miss D.C. Photo by Bruce Guthrie.

HCAU: Do you believe that miss America sends a positive message to men and women?

AW: The reasoning for the swimsuit competition is that it encourages women to be strong and take care of themselves physically. Any woman you see on the Miss America stage is not going to look like a skinny model, she’s going to look strong and healthy. That being said, there’s no doubt that a large amount of the ratings on the night of Miss America is from men wanting to see women in bikinis and it makes money for the organization. However, it is my favorite competition and I work very hard for it.

I feel confident and sexy, I’m not going to cover up just because a pervy 42-year-old wants to see me naked. Even the parts of the pageant that have decidedly unfeminist origins such as swimsuit or evening gown or even just the nature of the pageant of itself (women being judged against each other). Despite all that, there are sincerely feminist values. It supports women to continue their education, to be intelligent, to be well spoken and to achieve their goals. I believe that as a feminist, my choice to participate in this organization makes it a feminist choice. I find it not only empowering, but a very useful experience and an additive to my resume. I think that a lot of the push-back from pageants is a result of internalized misogyny. People see this very highly feminine thing and immediately associate it as a negative. People see the women that enjoy this very feminine thing as ditsy and unintelligent and not having respect for themselves. My version of feminist supports any person expressing their gender in any combination of masculinity and femininity regardless of what sex they were born with.

Miss America pageants, unlike anything else, afford power to women because they are women, not in spite. When you win a pageant you become a titleholder, you become a public representative and you are awarded a position of power. You are able to make a difference. The Miss America organization sees a woman as powerfully innately, without having to change any aspects of them, to be respected.

If pageants aren’t your thing, then don’t do them. If they are, then we will welcome you with open arms.

HCAU: So to participate in the pageant you have to vow that you’ve never been pregnant – do you think this is fair?

AW: The Miss America program views itself like a PR firm in that their representatives, who are representing their region or country, need to be spotless. Because of that, they have some outdated views on what constitutes an upstanding young woman. I personally don’t have the choice to upend those rules, and I don’t personally agree with them. But Miss America has transformed progressively since its conception—when it was an organization to get more tourists to New Jersey. I would invite the public to read up and if they feel something is wrong they should speak up and ask the public to change.

There’s a rule that you can’t be married and be in the organization which some may disagree with. But this is an organization that tells women to continue their education and to achieve their goals before marriage.

HCAU: What do you believe is a title-holder’s role in society?

AW: The day after I became Miss PVHS, I went to brunch with my fellow contestants. A little girl with a Disney princess shirt came up to me and asked me, eyes wide in disbelief, “Are you a real princess?” [Then] I talked to her for a while. Looking back, I realized that’s the most important role a titleholder can hold in society. Before she met me, the only princess she knew was cartoonish, had a small waist, was married to a prince and was two-dimensional. It’s important that little girls can have role models that can be fierce, career driven women and princesses at the same time.