This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Name: Adrian Romero

Birthday: July 5

Hometown: Las Vegas, Nevada

Major: Political science, creative writing minor

Relationship status: Taken!

Ideal first date: Going to a baseball game

Best date you’ve been on: I won’t say it’s the best date but it’s definitely the longest in terms of time and was the most memorable for multiple reasons. It has to be my senior year ‘prom’. We didn’t actually go to prom. Before everyone went to prom, about sixty or so people grouped up to take pictures on the Las Vegas strip. While everyone went to the dance, my date and I went to see The Beatles Cirque de Soleil show, walked around the strip, tried to get into a club, failed, but almost got in, and then met up with everyone after at the Paris Hotel to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. My parents gave me a 1 a.m. curfew but I mean…come on. It’s Vegas, it’s prom, and it’s the last time I’ll see everyone like this. I got home at 7:30 a.m. after a hotel get together.

Qualities you look for in a girl: I think I most value a girl who’s really smart in something. Fashion, art, movies, anything! I just want for her to be able to show me something new. If she’s smart and passionate, me gusta. I also really like a girl who didn’t grow up sheltered. I’m not expecting a college adversity essay or anything. But I do think a girl who’s experienced some sort of hardship will most likely have what I think is important to maintaining any healthy relationship: empathy. Also, for some odd reason I really love sass and attitude or dark humor.

Involvement at AU: Sig Ep and assistant copy editor of AmLit, AU’s literary and creative arts magazine on campus.

Favorite monument in DC: Hands down it’s going to have to be the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the Arlington Cemetery. The tradition, respect and dedication our soldiers in uniform have while on guard there is beyond admirable. It puts a lot of things into perspective with each new visit. For me, it’s been a really, really great place for me to sit down and reflect on who I am, was, and can grow to be as a person with the same heart and dedication as our troops. For the few times that I’ve gone I’ve never failed to point out my faults and flaws and come out with a fresh outlook on life, goals, friends, relationships and myself.

What you do in your free time: Aside from balancing all of my commitments, I sneak away and read or play guitar in a private room in Katzen. But trying new things is always on the table as long as I have others who will experience them with me.

Favorite song at the moment: It’s a tie between three songs. When I want to turn up, it’s Kendrick Lamar’s “Spiteful Chant” or Schoolboy Q’s “Collard Greens.” When I want to do work or admire guitar skills, I listen to “Promise” by Ben Howard.

Guilty pleasure: Spending money. I save for extended periods of time and then just splurge without second thought until I think I’ve done enough damage. But I usually end up returning half of the things I buy anyways so I don’t think I have an addiction or anything. I just like the process of shopping.

Where you see yourself in five years: Probably in the military as a jag for the Navy. I’d like to represent detainees and alleged terrorists and combatants. I’d like to understand where they come from, write about it and hopefully publish for development or public awareness purposes. Someone’s has to tell their stories and represent them. I’d like to be one of those people.

Favorite romantic comedy: My absolute favorite romantic comedy is The Five-Year Engagement. I really liked the commentary on female career advancement, the male ego and pride. On a romantic note, I like how love can fall apart and sometimes come back together. Gosh…I love Jason Segel. I might actually watch that movie tonight.

Something people don’t know about you: I used to want to be on Kidz Bop. I made myself an audition tape and everything…I was a weird kid. I still am. I still want to be on Kidz Bop.

Gabriella Salazar is a junior at American University studying Public Communication and Marketing. She hails from sunny, sunny Los Angeles, California and her proudest moment is meeting Ryan Gosling at the Gangster Squad Premier in January 2013. She's a lover of ballet, wheat thins, food, music and cats; a hater of all things dumb and annoying--like traffic.