The Abroad Blog: Finding My Sustainable Happiness in Copenhagen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Velkommen til København! “To travel is to live”, said the famous Danish poet Hans Christian Andersen. It’s hard to believe that a month has already gone by in Copenhagen. The city is incredible and every day is a new adventure with food that I have never tried, a word in Danish I try to learn, and a new person I am privilaged to meet. I chose to study abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark because I love unique cultures. My university here has already provided so many opportunities including cooking classes, wine tasting clubs, sport activities, and events all around the city in which we as students can be immersed in Danish culture.

Denmark was just named earlier this month as the happiest country in the world by the World Happiness Ranking of 2013. The report looked at 156 countries in areas including healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices and social support. Denmark claimed the title of the top spot, and it’s easy to see why. The Danes know how to enjoy life!

Here are a collection of a few of my favorites places Copenhagen has to offer to the eager tourist or to a local Dane to appreciate. For the weekend traveler who has only 48 hours in this city, these are a few of the things that I would recommend which are not to be missed.

Torvehallerne

Food heaven! Torvehallerne is a covered market, similar to those one might find in Spain, Italy, or even London. But since this is Scandinavia, everything here seems a bit more organized – and well designed. More than 80 vendors sell their goods inside, so the selection is breathtaking. There is fresh fish from the Baltic Sea, tiny cupcakes from the famous bakery, Agnes, and tons of specialty items from different Danish regions.  Some unusual items such as ox-meat sausages or rhubarb juice from Bornholm are examples of what the adventurous tourist may find. A lot of the booths sell snacks and warm meals, too.

My personal favorite booth inside the market is Brioche Doree. Grab a spot at the counter and watch delicious French pastries or quiches being made by hand from one of the (very friendly) pastry chefs. The smell alone is remarkable. Even though this is a French inspired bakery, and not a typical Danish one, the location is perfect. For the traveler in need of wifi, this will be the spot for you.

Sightseeing

Outside the hustle and bustle of the main streets of Copenhagen, this city is a collection of canals. This is the representative part of Copenhagen, the area with the Royal Palaces, churches, and the old harbour. From the Royal palace, Amalienborg, one can access the waterfront and take a long stroll, soaking in some Scandinavian sun and sights – including the spectacular new opera house, the National theater and finally Nyhavn. This old part of the harbor is beautiful with the Lego-like color buildings.

Another experience ot to miss are the Canal Tours! Pick up a few Carlsbergs and take a short canal tour to see the harbor, Opera the Little Mermaid statue, Christianshavn, is Christianhaven and so much more. Don’t be tempted to enter any of the restaurants around Nyhavn.  The restaurants are far too touristy and overpriced. It is possible to find better Danish cooking elsewhere in the city.

The Local Specialty

In the past years, Copenhagen has grown to a reputation as a foodie destination with its New Nordic cuisine. Restaurants such as  Relæ, Kadeau and Noma are on the forefront of a new Nordic eating trend which  promotes locally sourced and traditionally Danish produce.  Many critics currently agree that Noma is actually the best restaurant in the world right now.

However, for those of us who are on a travel budget and shy away from a 2000kr meal, Copenhagen is known for two of my new favorite snacks and dishes which can certainly satisfy the hunger one inevitably experiences after walking in the cool, fresh air from the Baltic Sea.

Flødeboller (roughly translated to cream bun) is the Danish name for a chocolate treat with a meringue filling. This is a nationally popular dessert in Denmark, which I assume is second only to licorice as a local favorite.

Smørrebrød, a beautifully decorated open face sandwich, is a dark, sourdough-based rye bread which is smeared with creamy butter and artfully topped with meat, fish, and cheese. Typical combinations range from eel, scrambled egg, and chives to more complex creations such as stjerneskud ( made with steamed white fish (plaice), shrimp, mayonnaise, red caviar, and a slice of lemon).

The end result is nothing short of a visual masterpiece — almost too beautiful to eat. There are hundreds of varieties, with the most important elements being creaminess and crunchiness. The Danish also invoke several lunchtime rules for this sandwich: Swim before you fly (eat fish before chicken), don’t pick off the plates of others, and make eye contact with each person when you raise your glass of schnapps. Skål!

With my love for traveling, my goal this fall is to visit as many countries as possible seeing the famous landmarks in all the different cities, sampling some of the best food and drinks the region has to offer, and of course meeting new people along the way!

Copenhagen in Review: Tips for the Traveler

1) To pack: Boots and Leather Jackets! Danes are very aware of fashion and new trends. The Danish style is typically darker clothes, with black or brown boots. Avoid heels or anything with too much height. The cobblestone streets won’t be as forgiving later.

2) Buy: Traditional Danish black licorice

3) Danish words to pick up: “Hygge” translated to English means “cozy”, but the Danes use it as a way to describe relaxing with good friends or loved ones. When the weather gets cooler, Danes love candles and creating a warm comfortable atmosphere. They use the word Hygge often to describe that feeling. You can see this around the city with the blankets hung over the café chairs for your lap, or the endless amount of candles in bars and restaurants. 

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.