The 9 Best Movies of the ’90s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

A trademark of our generation is an almost inexplicable, rabid nostalgia for the 1990s. From jelly sandals to Destiny’s Child, the ‘90s were undeniably a pretty ‘bomb’ decade. Even beyond that, it just feels good to reminisce about the times when your biggest worry in life was which member of *NSYNC was the hottest. So, put on your mood rings, lace up your checkered Converse, and check out 9 of the best movies made in the ‘90s.

Halloweentown (Oct. 17, 1998)

Of course I have to include at least one Disney Channel Original Movie on this list. It is truly as classic of the genre, and has a relatively inventive plot too. Debbie Reynolds co-stars as a grandmother trying to teach her granddaughter how to be a witch, which sounds like the best fever dream I’ve ever had.

Titanic (Dec. 19, 1997)

Is it sacrilege to put Best Picture winners on the same list with a Disney movie? As someone who tries to avoid film snobbery whenever possible, I don’t think so. Titanic is obviously a classic, and I can attest that young Leo DiCaprio set many prepubescent girls’ hearts aflutter (and a fair amount of prepubescent boys’ too, I’m sure).

The Silence of the Lambs (Feb. 14, 1991)

Confession: I put of seeing this film for several years because I was convinced I would hate it. I’m not usually a fan of really intense thrillers; they just make me more anxious than intrigued. But finally, I opened up Netflix, turned on all the lights in the house and locked all of the doors, and watched it. It really is an incredible movie, one of the few that actually lives up to the hype.

Clueless (July 19, 1995)

If there had to be just one film that defined the ‘90s, this would be it. The one-liners! The fashion! Peak Paul Rudd! It’s about as perfect as movies come.

All About My Mother (April 16, 1999)

Pedro Almodóvar’s classic Spanish-language film tells the story of a mother’s grief after her teenage son is killed in a car accident. It’s particularly masterful script weaves in the stories of transgender prostitutes, a diva actress, and even a pregnant nun played by Penélope Cruz.

Boyz N the Hood (July 12, 1991)

When 23 year old John Singleton directed this now-classic film in 1991, “urban” life and prestige films did not mix. Remarkably, Singleton become the first black person EVER to be nominated for the Best Director Oscar for his work on this story of life in the hood.

10 Things I Hate About You (March 31, 1999)

Heath Ledger singing “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” on the soccer field. Need I say any more?

My Own Private Idaho (Oct. 18, 1991)

Gus Van Sant directs this visually stunning tale of a couple of male hustlers just trying to get by. Loosely based on Shakespears’s Henry IV and starring the late, great River Pheonix, it’s one of the most gripping and enduring ‘arthouse’ movies of the decade.

The Lion King (June 15, 1994)

From the beautiful soundtrack to the Hamlet-inspired storyline (Shakespeare adaptations were a big thing in the ‘90s!), The Lion King is easily one of the most universally loved movies of all time.

So, grab some Dunkaroos and a Capri Sun pouch and settle in for ‘90s movie marathon.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10