The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

BookTok, a community on TikTok dedicated to book reviews and recommendations, has been rapidly gaining popularity in the last several months. Many of the viral videos from BookTok surround Colleen Hoover books, “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and “The Song of Achilles.” While these novels deserve all the praise they’ve been receiving on social media, many books of the same genre with equally lovable characters are overlooked. If you’re looking to add more books to your to be read (TBR) list, here are some recommendations!

1. The Grace Year

“The Handmaid’s Tale” meets “The Hunger Games” in Kim Liggett’s thriller about young girls being thrown out of their village and into the mysterious woods for a year. Tierney James, the main character of the story, is distrusting of her village’s leaders from the start, but as she fights to survive her year in the wilderness, she realizes things are much worse than she ever imagined. With suspense on every page and a shocking ending, you won’t want to put this book down. 

1. American Royals” series

In an America where George Washington was crowned king after the Revolutionary War, the Washingtons still sit on the throne in the present day. King George IV and Queen Adelaide have three children, Princess Beatrice (future queen), Princess Samantha and Prince Jefferson. The books are told from the perspectives of Beatrice, Samantha, Daphne (girlfriend of Jefferson) and Nina (best friend of Sam). Each girl tells their story, which intertwines to tell a narrative of royal romances, scheming and family loyalty. Katharine McGee has released three books in this series, and there’s a fourth currently in the works that fans are anxiously awaiting. 

1. The Counselors

Goldie Easton lives for summer when she returns to camp with her best friends. She’s gone to Camp Alpine Lake every summer for years, and has a strong bond with Imogen and Ava. This summer, the girls are returning as counselors, but Goldie hasn’t told her best friends about the trauma she’s endured since she saw them last year. Even at camp, Goldie doesn’t know if she’s safe anymore, and as her secrets pile up, she struggles to find her way back to her friends. This is Jessica Goodman’s third young adult thriller, and as always, she delivers lovable characters, suspense, and an ending you won’t see coming. 

1. The Love Hypothesis” 

Olive Smith, a Stanford PhD student, needs to prove to her best friend that she has moved on from her ex-boyfriend. She ends up in a fake-dating arrangement with Adam Carlsen, the university’s meanest professor. As Olive and Adam spend more time together, she sees that his reputation may not be as accurate as she assumed. In Ali Hazelwood’s debut novel, you’ll find characters you’ll adore, chosen family and a new OTP (one true pair) you can’t help but root for. Hazelwood also recently published a new romance novel, “Love On The Brain”, that you’ll love just as much.

1. The Naturals” series

Cassie Hobbes has abilities she always thought of as unimportant, but when she’s recruited by the FBI to help solve cold cases, that all changes. As she’s guided to sharpen her skills, she gets to know four other teens and feels at home for the first time in a long time. The four-book series follows Cassie and her friends as they form new relationships, solve brutal cases for the FBI and learn how to use their talents for good. Jennifer Lynn Barnes keeps readers captivated through all four books, and has authentic characters that grow over the course of the series. 

1. Postcards From Summer” 

Lexi, a teenage girl who barely remembers her mother (Emma), is desperate to know more about her family. Emma, at age 18, can’t find a place in her parents’ strict world. This summer novel switches between Lexi and Emma’s perspective, both set on the charming Mackinac Island. Emma spends her summer with her best friends, JR, Linda and Ryan, who readers can easily love and root for. Lexi spends her summer searching for clues about her mother and meets some interesting residents of the island along the way. Cynthia Platt fills the story with romance, surprising twists and characters you won’t forget.

When you need more recommendations, Goodreads will provide suggestions based on your previous favorites. Enjoy your reading!

Annabelle Evans

American '24

Belle is a Senior at American University majoring in literature with a focus in creative writing. She is from the Philadelphia area and loves to read. She enjoys writing on current events, pop culture phenomenons and especially issues impacting women.