This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Women’s History Month just passed, and one way to keep honoring women is to support local women-owned businesses. 

Duende District 

Are you looking for an online bookstore that centers diversity? Duende District is owned by Angela Maria Springs, a Latina journalist, poet and editor. Duende District creates bookstores that are “for and by people of color, where all are welcome.” They specialize in curating children and adult books in Spanish and English, as well as having event pop-ups that cater to Black and brown communities. You can find them in a boutique bookstore at Shopkeepers on 1231 Florida Ave, NE. 

Buffalo Bergen DC

Fan of bagels and sandwiches? Gina Chersevani is the owner of Buffalo Bergen. A brunch spot with a breakfast menu that has been described as delicious with some traditional bagels, a variety of signature sandwiches and some cocktails. You can order online through Uber Eats, Doordash or visit them on Capitol Hill at 240 Massachusetts Ave, NE or Union Market at 1309 5th Street ST, NE. 

Mama Chang 

Mama Chang is a Chinese restaurant that celebrates women of the Chang clan, one of them being the owner and chef, Lisa Chang. The menu includes noodles, dim sum and different dishes that honor their heritage. You can order online or visit them at 3251 Blenheim Blvd, Fairfax, VA. 

Calabash Tea

Calabash was founded in 2009 with the mission to provide indigenous ways of healing by Sunyatta Amen, a fifth generation master herbalist. Their motto, “Decolonize your tongue,” is a reflection of the mission to return modern people to indigenous healing. Sunyatta Amen was born to Cuban, Surian-Jamaican and Native parents and grew a passion for herbal healing. You can buy online or visit them at 270112th St, NE. 

Taqueria Las Gemelas

Taqueria Las Gemelas is owned by Kelley Phillips and provides a menu of tacos, quesadillas, chile relleno and others. They are a fast-fancy taqueria and are located at 1280 4th Street NE. 

There are many women owned businesses in DC to support, these are just some of them that incorporate an intersection of women and also different cultures included. Ranging from a Latinx bookstore dedicated to people of color, to Chinese and Mexican restaurants, to bagels and teas that enhance indigenous healing. Beyond Women’s History Month, buying from women owned businesses is a way to support them year round. 

Ela Hernández

American '25

Ela Hernández is a bisexual Latina woman who is passionate about intersectional advocacy and loves to write stories about women empowerment through intersectionality and about taboo topics such as sex. She is Venezuelan and also lived in Colombia for six years so she works to create a community for those minorities who struggle to feel included in the US. Ela Hernández is an International Studies major with a minor in Women, Gender and Sexuality studies.