5 Things a Midwesterner Hears on the East Coast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As an Ohio native, I’ve always been aware of the stereotypes that are associated with the Midwest. The corn, the cows, and the cheese – I’ve heard it all. But, I never realized how skewed the perceptions of those living in other parts of the country were until I came to American. I’ll admit – some of the stereotypes hold a bit of truth, but most are far from it.  I’m here to answer some of the burning questions that I’ve heard from other American students about “America’s Heartland.”

1.     Do you live on/near a farm?

Believe it or not, the Midwest has more than farms. We have big cities like Cleveland, Columbus, Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis, just to name a few, and some of the best suburbs in the country. Sure, the Midwest is home to miles of farmland. And I’ll admit, you don’t have to drive on the highway for too long before spotting cows and horses grazing on lush grass. But, the Midwest is not just a huge expanse of crops, cows, and corn.

2.     Are you back on the LeBron bandwagon?

My fellow Clevelanders can relate to this one.  Now, anyone who knows a little bit about basketball probably know about Cleveland’s tumultuous relationship with NBA star, LeBron James. First we loved him, then we hated him when he decided to take his “talents to South Beach,” and now we love him again that he’s back at home. Personally, I’ve never really cared. But Cleveland is so much more than LeBron James. From Lake Erie providing some of the best tap water in the country, to the West Side Market, to Playhouse Square being the biggest theater district in the world outside of New York City, and the world’s largest outdoor chandelier, we are so much more than LeBron James.

3.     Why do you call it pop?

Let me ask you, when you open a can of a sugary, carbonated beverage what sound does the can make? Does it go pop, or does it say soda?  “Pop” just makes sense. Case closed.

4.     Why are Midwesterners so a friendly?

This is definitely one thing that I’ve noticed since moving to the east coast. People in the Midwest are definitely friendlier – we say, “Excuse me” when passing someone on the sidewalk, smile at strangers, and strike up conversations at any given time. People on the East Coast seem to be in a constant rush, skipping the little things like saying “hello.” Plus, what’s so bad about being friendly?

5.     What is there to do in the Midwest?

Too often people assume that the Midwest is nothing but swing states and corn.  But, just like any other region of the US, there is plenty to do. Cedar Point, the Second Best Amusement Park in the World and best in the U.S, is in Sandusky, Ohio. Admission to the Cleveland Museum of Art is always free. The Great Lakes offer sailing, fishing, and mini-cruises. Minnesota is renowned for its beautiful scenery.  Chicago holds the spot of third biggest city in the U.S. and Omaha, Nebraska’s Old Market District is home to a quaint collection of shops, restaurants, and museums. The midwest has something for everyone! Don’t believe it? Check out this list.

Images: 1 2 3 4 5

Lauren Lumpkin is a freshman majoring in Public Relations and Strategic Communication at American University in Washington, D.C. This self-proclaimed "foodie" from Cleveland, Ohio loves writing for HerCampus and blogging. In her free time, you can find her blasting music in her dorm room, watching movies, or working on DIY projects.