5 Phases Of #Blizzard2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The Washington, D.C. area has transformed into an unexpected winter wonderland. Storm Jonas rolled in late Friday afternoon in proper blizzard fashion. Leaving approximately two feet of snow, DC residents, amoung millions of others up and down the East coast, have been forced inside. The following are observations (and self reflections…) on the five phases of #blizzard2016. 

1. Look! Snow! Smile!

Blizzards seem to be the best opportunity for photo-ops. Whether in the form of a snowball candid, or the classic snowman selfie, we all know it took more than one shot. #Snowzilla 

2. Sledding: College Style

“Does anyone have a box?” Out of all of the college packing lists, sleds still have not made the cut. A college student can easily solve this packing glitch with a spare piece of cardboard. The stranger down the hall with the large box is now your new best friend.

3. r u alive?

#Blizzard2016 has given friends and family another reason to worry. The media coverage of the snow has opened the floodgates for messages ranging from “r u alive?”, “how much is there now?”, “did you see the panda video?” and “do you have enough food?” (thanks mom).

4. Let’s go… Just Kidding.

Gone are the days you can slide out the door without a care. #Blizzard2016 has taught many the importance of layers and traction. The first step is a blur of puffy coats, missing gloves and heavy boots. Second, speed determines total time spent outside, but the ice determines fate. Finally, reaching a destination, and preparing to repeat the process. Suddenly an impulsive trip to buy popchips can no longer get you out of bed. Winter has come.

5. Again?

We all love a good snow day. Two, even better. Three? Cabin fever kicks in. Oversocialization, hunger and boredom.

Photo Credit: 1