5 Internship Tips Every American University Collegiette Needs To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With a new internship season beginning, D.C. welcomes back a brand crop of interns and internship veterans. Whether it is your first or your fifteenth one, any advice can be helpful to make your time there successful. Here are our top five internship tips that you should keep in mind:

1.     Have small notebook and pen on you always.

From advice or daily tasks, you should always be prepared to take notes on what your supervisor wants you to do. Your notebook will basically be your bible during your internship. You can write to-do lists, directions, and new things that you learn while working. It will show your boss that you are listening and really want do your job well. An added bonus is that it will make your supervisor feel like what they are saying is important to you.

2.     Dress in light layers.

Like Washington D.C. weather, your office environment can change unexpectedly. Your building could be freezing from the air condition one day or scorching hot. Carry a light sweater or a your professional blazer in your bag just in case. It is important to be prepared during your internship and for you to be comfortable while working.

3.     Dress for the job that you want.

Just because you are an intern does not mean you should not dress professionally. Show your supervisor that you are serious about your internship and treat it like a job. He or she will be impressed with your confidence. You also never know whom you are going to run into such as the executive of the company. You obviously want to look good when you introduce yourself to him or her.

4. Always ask if there is more that you can do and do it with a smile.

You might be a pro and finish everything on your to-do list in an hour. Do not let your mind wander away from the job. Check in with your supervisor hourly and see if there are any other tasks that you can do for them. Even if they do not need your help, your boss will take note of you taking initiative and wanting to know more about the department. When he or she does ask for help, you should be enthusiastic with any tasks they give you. Even if it is compiling paperwork, take this as a learning opportunity and look over what they give you.

5.     Write Thank You notes.

Thank you letters are the one of the best networking tools out there. Some call it a little old fashion, but do not underestimate the power of a thank you note. Whether it is your boss or someone who has helped you in some small way, you will most likely be remembered for your thoughtfulness. People will appreciate the time you took out of your schedule to think of them. These future connections might soon be your actual boss or co-worker someday.

Good luck collegiettes! 

(Photo Credit: Notebookstories.com, Polyvore.com, and Etsy.com)

Colleen V. Antonio is a student at American University in Washington DC. She is majoring in Public Communication with minors in Marketing. She is a member of the sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. Currently, Colleen writes and is President for HerCampus American, which combines her interests in fashion, food, and entertainment in the local DMV area. One day she hopes to find a job with all these interests that will enable her to travel around the world. During her free time, Colleen enjoys exploring the city whether it is heading to listen to an underground band at Black Cat with her friends or even just eating cookie dough ice cream on the steps of the National Portrait Gallery.