4 Spring Activities to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The days seem longer, sunsets are making a comeback, daylight savings time is here, which means, spring is right around the corner! March 20th marks the beginning of the spring season. Spring brings beautiful weather, new trends from fashion designers, and a breath of fresh air from the stifling winter cold. The gorgeous spring air allows for reasons and excuses to indulge in new activities that come with the time of the year. So let loose, and try something new this spring! Here’s a few to start with:

1. Spring cleaning

Okay, so spring cleaning is a spring tradition that probably dates back to generations. But instead of getting rid of the clutter in your apartment or dorm room, try your closet. Reinvent your style; try a certain trend or brand that you haven’t tried before. Step out of your comfort zone. According to Teen Vogue, the 60’s, London-inspired Mod style is back. Channel your inner Twiggy (famous British supermodel, look her up!) and try the black & white trend, bold color blocking, or in-your-face geometric patterns.

2. Explore. Explore. Explore.

With such beautiful weather around the corner, spring is definitely the time to go to new places. Take a hike, go for a jog some place you’ve never been before. What’s stopping you? Try out a new restaurant. Do something you’ve never done before. Go rock climbing or horseback riding. Have fun! Besides YOLO.

3. Photo shoot with friends

What better way to document the spring season than with pictures? Besides, a picture is worth a thousand words. A photo shoot is a perfect reason to hang out with friends, and explore somewhere new with beautiful scenery. If you’re feeling really into it, you can try using a real camera instead of your phone. You might even find you have a talent or interest in photography. But whether you set aside a Saturday to relax and chill with your friends, or take a break from studying to release your inner Tyra, you won’t be disappointed.

4. Have a picnic

A red and white checker print tablecloth is probably the first thing you think about when you think of a picnic, but that doesn’t have to be. Grab some friends, a cute, stylish blanket, some food, and you’re good to go. Make it BYOD (Bring Your Own Dish), that way not one person is responsible for everything. A picnic is also a great way to test out your cooking skills (or lack thereof). Look up a new recipe for a dessert or a refreshing drink – Seventeen offers some good recipes to try!

Brianna M. Williams is a student in the School of Communication at American University in Washington, D.C. She is studying print journalism, with minors in graphic design and marketing. Currently, Brianna is a seventeen social club member for Seventeen Magazine, an online marketing assistant in American University's School of Communication, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. Dance Moms and E! News are her guilty pleasures. And she loves the feeling and smell of a new magazine, as much as she loves opening a new pair of shoes.