3 Mash-Up Recipes to Get You in the Thanksgivukkah Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Just like some experiences are once in a lifetime, some are only once in 70,000 years. Namely, Thanksgivukkah.

When Hanukkah and Thanksgiving converge into one super-holiday this year on November 28th, you have two options: cower in fear, overwhelmed by the magnitude of such an event, and resign yourself to celebrating the two holidays on separate days, or be bold. Take Thanksgivukkah for all it is worth—a hybrid holiday unlike any other hybrid holiday, with a deliciously creative mash-up menu to match. Here are a few recipes to help you celebrate the most wonderful time of the year. 

1. Candied Sweet Potato Latkes

Ingredients:

·       2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes

·       1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs

·       1 tablespoon potato starch

·       3 eggs, beaten

·       1 teaspoon salt

·       ½ teaspoon cinnamon

·       ¼ teaspoon curry powder

·       Olive oil

Method:

1. Peel the potatoes and grate them into small shreds. Wrap the shreds up in a paper towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Then, put the sweet potato shreds in a large bowl.

2. Stir in the eggs, breadcrumbs, potato starch, curry powder, cinnamon, and salt. Allow the mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes.

3. Pour the oil into a skillet and let it heat up.

4. Scoop about a ¼ cup of the mixture. Squeeze it in your hands into the shape of a hockey puck.

5. Drop the latke into the hot oil very gently, so as to prevent breaking. Let fry for 3-6 minutes on each side, or until crispy.

6. Serve straight out of the pan. Top with brown sugar, extra cinnamon, and maple syrup. 

2. Cranberry Applesauce

Ingredients:

·       2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)

·       ½ teaspoon cinnamon

·       ½ teaspoon nutmeg

·       ¼ cup sugar

·       ½ cup red wine

·       4 apples

Method:

1. Combine cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and wine in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer for 20 minutes.

2. Peel the apples and cut them into large chunks. Add to the saucepan. Allow to simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Let cool. Eat it over latkes, turkey, or just by itself.

3. Pumpkin Rugelach

Ingredients:

·       1 refrigerated pie crust

·       4 ounces cream cheese

·       2 tablespoons packed brown sugar

·       ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

·       ½ cup chopped pecans

·       2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger

·       1 egg

·       1 tablespoon milk

·       2 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

2. Mix softened cream cheese, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth.

3. Unroll pie crust and spread the mixture over it. Sprinkle pecans and ginger over it.

4. Cut it like a pizza into 16 slices. Roll them up, starting with the bigger end. Place on cookie sheet.

5. Beat together the egg and milk. Brush over the tops of the rugelach. Sprinkle them all with the cinnamon-sugar combination.

6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Remove, let cool, and enjoy. 

(Photo credit: http://theshiksa.com/images/20…)

Julia Reinstein is a junior at American University. She is studying journalism and hopes to one day write for a magazine. When she isn't writing, she keeps busy as a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma and student body Vice President. Her goals include traveling to Iceland, participating in a flashmob, meeting Hillary Clinton, and owning a mahogany spice rack. She passionately believes in the Oxford comma.