10 TV Shows You Have to Watch on Netflix or Hulu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Are you a subscriber to Netflix or Hulu? Have you hit that slump, where you can’t find an interesting TV show to watch? Have no fear, here’s a list filled with some of the best TV shows available on either Hulu or Netflix that will keep you up at night.

1. Scandal

Politics lover-or-not, this show is definitely for you. Kerry Washington stars as Olivia Pope, a former White House Communications Director, dedicated to protecting the public images of Washington DC’s elite. This series is loosely based on press aide Judy Smith from George H.W. Bush’s administration. 

2. House of Cards

Frank Underwood, a conniving Congress Man from South Carolina and House Majority Whip, attempts to exact revenge on those who betrayed him after being passed on becoming Secretary of State. Frank Underwood and his equally conniving wife will make you question your faith in the government and humanity.

3. Suits

Mike Ross, an intelligent college dropout with an eidetic memory, accidentally drops into a job interview when a drug deal goes bad. But when one of New York City’s best lawyers, Harvey Spector, is tired of all the same boring law school graduates, he decides to hire Mike on the spot. Harvey’s suave and confident personality will make you swoon and wish he was your husband.

4. Vampire Diaries

Please don’t assume that all vampires sparkle and glitter under the sun. Vampire Diaries takes place in Mystic Falls, Virginia, a town haunted by supernatural beings. This show will make you have internal debates about whether you want Elena to end up with Stefan or Damon. From doppelgängers to werewolves and vampires, there is never a dull moment in this show.

5. American Horror Story

Each season of this show features different story lines and characters. Past seasons have included an insane asylum, witches coven, and a haunted house. The fourth season is set to be aired sometime this fall, and revolves around a “freak show” in the 1950s. 

6. The Following

Kevin Bacon stars as Ryan Hardy, a retired FBI agent trying to deal with a brilliant serial killer he captured nine years ago. However, while in prison, the serial killer has managed to start a murderous cult that follows his every command. Needless to say, this show will keep you on your toes.

7. Weeds

Nancy Botwin, a widow with two boys, begins to sell weed in order to help support her family. While she initially only sells to her affluent neighbors in the fictional town of Agrestic, California, she soon gets her family in trouble and mishaps when she decides to expand her business.

8. The Carrie Diaries

Were you a huge fan of Sex and the City? The Carrie Diaries is the prequel to the original HBO television series, and focuses on Carrie during her junior year of high school in the early 1980s. Definitely watch this show if you ever need some fashion inspiration. The bright colors and trendy styles will make you wish you lived in the 80s.

9. Nikita

Nikita is a woman who escaped from a top secret government funded organization called Division. The organization recruits individuals with troubled pasts, and trains them into efficient assassins. However, Nikita decides to go rogue and take down the very organization that trained her.

10. Grey’s Anatomy

Grey’s Anatomy is a medical drama show that centers on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and residents at the fictional Seattle Grace Hospital. After ten seasons, this show is still airing and still, the story never gets old.

Hopefully this list will help you find another show to get addicted to. Well, on the other hand, maybe it’s best you save this list until after you’ve finished all your finals.

Sources:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Vivian is the Managing Editor of the Her Campus American chapter. She is currently a senior at American University, pursuing a degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Finance and a minor in Law & Society. Vivian is originally from Long Island, New York. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, drinking iced coffee and taking photos of her food. She is extremely excited to be a part of such an amazing organization on campus!