10 Cartoons to Watch for Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s April, meaning it’s getting closer to the end of a stressful semester of college with little time to unwind. However, it is also right after Women’s History Month. To belatedly celebrate Women’s History Month, here is a list created with the help of friends of ten female-led cartoons you should watch in your free time.

Farnsworth Fireplace TV Stand?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Courtesy of Walmart

The Powerpuff Girls (1998)

Three superpowered five-year-old girls fight crime, monsters and even Satan himself. Being one of Cartoon Network’s first original cartoons, “The Powerpuff Girls” by Craig McCracken has become a feminist icon over the past 25 years since its debut in 1998. With its charming cast of characters, art style and action-packed episodes, the cartoon shows that despite what others may think, women are just as powerful and capable as men. 

Kim Possible (2002)

Basic, average teenager Kim Possible, along with her best friend Ron Stoppable, fight villains and save the world in a similar fashion to the Powerpuff Girls in which none of the heroes have a secret identity. The show’s fashion, entertaining characters and music are noteworthy along with Kim’s relatable issues. Kim’s confident, assertive, independent personality makes her a strong female lead, marking “Kim Possible” as another feminist icon.

My Life as a Teenage Robot (2003)

16-year-old robotic teenager Jenny Wakeman has to balance her social life and her saving-the-world duties. The show’s color usage, witty writing and complex plots help “My Life as a Teenage Robot” stand out against other shows from the 2000s. The show’s not-so-subtle references to modern society help distinguish it from others, especially since some of the issues tackled are still relevant today. 

Ever After High (2013)

Based on the Mattel doll series with the same name, “Ever After High” is about the children of fairytale characters like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. The show is full of fun characters with beautiful designs that match the main and side characters. If the cartoon isn’t your thing, there is also a five-part book series by Shannon Hale that expands the franchise’s lore and even contains a crossover with Mattel’s other 2010s doll series, “Monster High.”

Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventures (2017)

As a good sequel series to a Disney movie, “Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventures” expands upon the pre-established lore and characters from the 2010 Disney film “Tangled”. “Rapunzel’s Tangled Adventures” brings plenty of new characters that also help flesh out the kingdom of Corona.

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (2018)

“She-Ra and the Princesses of Power,” the reboot of “She-Ra: Princess of Power” has a female-dominated cast who are strong and unique in their own ways. The show is full of magic and fantasy elements that are bound to draw people’s attention along with a plot that’s short enough to not overstay its welcome but long enough to feel complete.

DC Super Hero Girls (2019)

Teenage versions of DC heroes, like Wonder Woman, attend high school together. “DC Super Hero Girls” highlights close female friendships between the main characters who varied in terms of both their designs and personalities.

Amphibia (2019)

13-year-old Anne Boonchuy gets trapped in the world of Amphibia, leading to a story about found family, healthy friendships and personal growth. The story progression of “Amphibia” is one with plenty of heartwarming and heartwrenching moments. “Amphibia” also has great Asian American representation with Anne’s Thai culture being shown throughout the series, especially the first half of the third and final season.

The Owl House (2020)

14-year-old witch wannabe Luz Noceda’s dreams come true when she gets trapped in the demon realm known as the Boiling Isles where she becomes a witch-in-training. Created by “Gravity Falls” storyboarder Dana Terrace, “The Owl House” is an amazing adventure from start to finish. Incorporating themes of found family, acceptance and being your true self, the story of “The Owl House” is sure to stick with its audience long after its upcoming ending.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2023)

Based on the Marvel comic series “Moon Girl”, “Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur” has already received high praise for its fun and color art style along with its black representation. So far in the show’s run, it has shed much-needed light on black joy.

This list of cartoons spans over four decades, meaning there is plenty of female empowerment content between these ten cartoons. It’s worth noting that most of these cartoons are already over, so there’s no need to rush through them.

Micah (they/she) is a DC native and sophomore at American University studying Literature (Creative Writing track) with a Communications minor. They are passionate about their interests which include reading, writing, drawing, and watching cartoons. Will most likely be seen wearing pink.