Succulents are More than Plants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Have you ever asked yourself, “How can I decorate my home while remaining  eco friendly?” Well, I’ve got an idea you may have never considered, SUCCULENTS! Okay, you’re probably thinking, “Why is this environmental nut yelling the word succulents at me and what exactly is a succulent.” According to Britannica, a succulent is any plant with fleshy, thick tissues adapted to water storage. In layman’s term it would be what most of us consider to be a cactus.

Using plants as a way of home décor has been done for centuries, so why not add a fun twist to this home decoration. Succulents come in various shapes, colors, sizes, species….you get the point. I personally love decorating my apartment with these beauties, especially since they are very low maintenance compared to other plants and flowers.

Other than décor, succulents and plants in general have some great benefits. Number one, plants have the ability to purify the air, by absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing fresh oxygen into the air. Number two, depending on the succulent you decide to nurture, it can be used for its healing properties. For example, Aloe vera, a commonly known succulent, has been known to sooth the skin, promote hair growth, and has a bunch of other great benefits. These are only two of the benefits I have found in my research on succulents. Can you think of any others?

If you were having doubts about getting a succulent or have never heard of succulents before, I hope this article helped. We can all add beauty to the world and still be environmentally conscious.

Read more of my environmental articles here http://www.keepingiteco.org/

My name is Daria and I am currently a junior at SUNY Albany. I am studying biology and hope to, one day, become a nurse practitioner.