Sekani Blaize: Vice President of Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship Inc.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Where are you from?

Brooklyn NY, East Flatbush specifically.  My family’s from Trinidad and Grenada. 

Birthday:  January 19th, 1996

Sign: Capricorn

What is your major, year, and expected graduation date?

I’m a Psychology and Criminal Justice double major

What do you plan to do once you graduate?

I either want to become a criminologist, or a forensic psychologist, so after graduation I plan to go to grad school for that

What are you involved in on campus?

I’m apart of Phenomenal Voices, a performing arts group on campus and I play the saxophone, and I serve as a Junior Secretary.

When’d you start playing the saxophone?

In sophomore year of high school I started playing.  I was good at it, so I kept going with it.

I’m also a member of Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship Incorporated, and I serve as Vice President. As Vice President, I have to book rooms, coordinate programs, and brainstorm ideas for our upcoming events.  Also, I’m apart of JAMSA, the Jamaican Student Association, and I’m apart of the community service committee.

Ever stressed?

Yes I am, I stay up late, my days are booked.  My class schedule is complicated.  Every day is different, but I’ve found a way to make time for everything that I need to do

Advice you would give to freshmen?

Don’t take on more than you can handle.

What if they like a challenge?

If they like a challenge, they should be ready for what they’re putting themselves into.  Responsibility is key

What do you enjoy doing with your free time?

It depends.  If it’s the weekend, sometimes I party, but sometimes I’d rather stay in.  Keeping a balance between the two is key.  During the weekdays, if I have downtime, I’ll probably be playing super smash bros on my 55 inch TV.

What are some of your highlights being a UAlbany student?

I’d have to say meeting the people that I did here

Fast Facts

Instagram or Snapchat: Snapchat- it’s more personal

Favorite spot on campus: The practice rooms in the PAC

Can’t leave the house/dorm without: My phone and my keys. 

Keep up with Sekani:

Snapchat: @sblaize

Make sure to follow his Social Fellowship here:

@gdc_gphig

Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues