Say Goodbye to Your Struggle Meals!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Do you live in the apartments? Do you often find yourself asking underclassmen for their munch money or swipes into the dining hall? Are ramen noodles often your go-to? Most importantly can you cook? Tired of eating the Kraft microwaveable mac and cheese? If you’ve answered yes to all of those questions then I suggest you keep on reading this article. I’m going to give you some simple cooking instructions so you’ll have a decent meal in your stomach at all times of the day.

1. Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese

·             ½ ounce cheddar cheese

·             ½ tablespoon of olive oil or butter

·             3 or 4 eggs

·             salt

·             pepper

If the cheddar isn’t shredded, grate it. Put the olive oil or butter onto a skillet and place it onto a medium heat stovetop. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them with a fork. Then pour onto skillet. Add the salt, pepper, cheddar and ham and allow the eggs to cook. Begin pushing the eggs to the center with a spatula so that everything gets cooked. Continue to do so until every thing looks cooked and enjoy your meal.

2. Garlic roasted chicken

·             2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

·             Boneless chicken breasts

·             Salt and pepper

·             2 heads garlic

·             Rosemary

·             2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook, skin-side down, until browned for about 5 minutes or so. Then, separate the heads of garlic into cloves but do not peel the cloves. Flip the chicken; add the garlic and rosemary to the skillet and move to the oven. Roast until the chicken is cooked through but still moist, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the vinegar to the skillet and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Add 3 tablespoons water and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly for 2 minutes. Pour the sauce and garlic over the chicken.

3.  White rice

·             2 cups of rice

·             4 cups of boiling water

·             1 slice of an onion

·             1 Garlic clove

·             1 slice of a bell pepper

·             Salt

·             1 tablespoon of olive oil

Boil a pot of water in a kettle. Then, put a pot on the stove on medium heat. Pour a tablespoon into the pot so that it just covers the entire bottom of the pot. Let the oil get warm. Chop off a piece of bell pepper, a piece of onion and 1 garlic clove. When the oil is hot put the pieces of bell pepper, onion and the clove in the pot and sauté. In a drainer put the rice in and put cool water to rinse off most of the starch. Repeat until water runs clear.  After you finish sautéing, put the freshly drained/rinsed rice in the pot. Put four cups of the boiling water in the pot as well. Take about a dime sized amount of salt and put it in the pot, wait a few minutes to see the rice bubble a little bit. Cover the rice and let it cook on low heat for 25-30 minutes.

4.  Hotdogs and pork n’ beans

·             Hotdogs

·             Pork and beans

·             Onions

Boil the hotdogs in a pot of water. Warm the pork and beans on the stove on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Once hotdogs are done boiling, drain the water and cut them up. Take the pork n’ beans and onions and pour it into the pot of hotdogs.