Style > Beauty

Read This Before Coloring Your Hair- Tips From a Goldwell Master Colorist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Experimenting with hair color has always been a fun way for me to express myself. I’ve been flaunting an aquamarine color in my hair since late August, and it’s probably my favorite hair color so far.  Fortunately, my sister graduated from cosmetology school and is well versed in hair color tips and tricks.  However, if you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s easy to damage your hair while attempting to change your hair color.  She offered to share some of her wisdom with our HerCampus readers.

1. Always read Yelp reviews on hair salons.
  2. Bring photos to your hair stylist so you can ensure that you are on the same page as the person you’re trusting your hair with.
  3. Purchase color-safe shampoo and conditioner to retain your hair color.  You don’t want to waste your money on a hair service just to see the color fade!
  4. Make sure your shampoo is sulfate-free. Sulfates are the main ingredient in hair color removers.
  5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, including whether or not your hair stylist thinks your new color will look good on you (be open to suggestions!)
  6. Always mention if you have a sensitive scalp.
  7. Be honest about any other changes you’ve made to your hair.  Otherwise, you risk damaging your hair.
  8. Tip the assistants as well as the colorist!
  9. If you’re going to dye your hair at home, do NOT use a “box color.” These are the dye kits that come with the color, developer, and conditioner. They contain ammonia and metals that can damage your hair. 
  10. NEVER use a volume 30 or 40 developers on your scalp.
  11. When looking at natural hair color options, remember that they are categorized on a scale of 1-10. 1 is the darkest color; 10 is the lightest. 
  12. If you’re looking for a safe semi-permanent hair color, check out Manic Panic, Pravana, Special Effects, and Adore. 
  13. DIY color removers will not remove unnatural hair colors such as pink and blue.
  14. Shades of blue typically fade to green quickly (my blue hair is closer to an emerald green color right now).
  15.  If you’re coloring your hair to a natural color that is darker than your current hair color, you can probably skip the bleach.
  16. If your hair is coarse, your hair stylist might use a developer that is one level higher than what they’d use on finer hair. 
N/A