October: Domestic Violence Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

College is the time to date. Maybe you’ll find your husband and other times you’ll be the one to date an abusive partner and find yourself in an abusive relationship. Abusive relationships occur more often than you think and can happen to almost anyone. Around 20% of college students have experienced violent and abusive dating behaviors with their partner. No one ever wakes up willingly enters an abusive relationship. Many abusive relationships begin as normal as any other relationship. At first it’s flirting, then it turns into texting and late night FaceTime calls.  

Beware of Infatuation: Don’t be fooled!

It’s like there are so many different warnings going off in your head trying to tell you to stop, do not enter, or turn around. But none of that matters because you have fallen head over heels for this one person that you just met. No one is equipped to deal with abuse, especially college students. Below are some warning signs of an abusive relationship.

Possessiveness: Your partner is always questioning what you do.

Verbal Abuse: Your partner criticizes what and how you do things, who you hang out with and what you wear out. Verbal abuse most likely follows up with physical abuse.

Isolation: Your partner may feel as if you’re neglecting them and therefore make you feel bad about it. Your partner essentially will force you to stop going out.

Doesn’t take responsibility for their actions: Your significant other blames everything on you and thinks that they are never wrong or they don’t think they are the problem.

Mood Swings: Your partner is extremely sensitive and their mood can change instantaneous, usually to anger.

Aggressiveness: You know your significant other has a known history of being aggressive. This is a huge warning sign and raises red flags.

Impractical expectations: Your partner is making you do things that make you feel very uncomfortable. This is a major issue.

If you or anyone you know is in an abusive relationship, please seek help immediately from someone you trust. Down below is a hotline that you can call that is operated 24 hours that can help you.

National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!