Michelle Checchi: Editor-in-Chief of Albany Student Press

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

1. What is your major, year and expected graduation date?

I’m a senior double majoring in Journalism and Communications, graduating in May.

2. What does your role as Editor-in-Chief of Albany Student Press involve?

It’s a 24/7 job. I oversee everything from content, to the business aspect of the publication. One of the main aspects to my position is to make sure we’re getting good content, and training new student journalists can be one of the most challenging parts of this. But nothing is more rewarding then having good pieces in our paper, and seeing the writing and editing abilities of the staff improve.

I also like to write articles, when time permits, because that is why I got into this whole dang thing in the first place. But one of the many challenges of the position is keeping the entire organization running smoothly, and still finding personal time to write leisure pieces.

3. Are you involved in any other activities on campus or outside of school?

I’m currently the news intern for WAMC Northeast Public Radio, which I report to three days a week, 9-5. On campus, I’m a member of the student radio station WCDB, and I’m part of the Jewish organization Aish. On the side, I work as a waitress at a popular Pine Hills bar you’ve most likely frequented.

4. What happens during an average week at the Albany Student Press?

Monday nights we have meetings with the editorial staff and the writers. We go through the article “pitches,” where the editors and writers propose article ideas, and we hash out any foreseeable issues with a piece.

Throughout the week, our writers and editors work on their articles. Sundays are our layout days—the editorial staff holes up in our Campus Center office, and designs the pages for print. The first section editors arrive at around 11 a.m., and I’ll arrive at around 1 p.m. to oversee the production of the paper. When the section editors finish their pages, the managing editor and I read through each article, review every layout, and finalize each aspect of the paper, leaving at around 11 p.m. We take detailed notes on our corrections as we go through the issue, and share the notes at our Monday meeting the following night, to try to help our staff improve their abilities. Tuesdays our paper is published and delivered to campus, and our content is put up on the web. Throughout the week, if additional stories crop up, we may publish them online as they develop.

5. What do you enjoy to do when you are not running a newspaper?

I’m always running the newspaper. 1 a.m. on a Saturday, I am making editorial decisions and answering questions that are being text messaged to me. But I do try to take it easy sometimes—I really enjoy being outside, going on walks, and running in the park. I also love listening to live music and going to shows. And I try to keep my social life alive, healthy, and well.

6. What drew you into studying journalism and do you have any advice for any aspiring journalists out there?

My father is in the industry, as an editor at the Staten Island Advance, but I was never pushed into this field. To this day my dad says that he warned me of how difficult it would be.

There are several reasons why I’m studying journalism. One main one is my personal passion for the subject. I see beautiful stories everywhere- and by beautiful, I don’t necessarily mean pretty. In the most unexpected places, there are fascinating, horrifying, incredible stories. In journalism, you get to see all of these fascinating facets and nuances of the world that may not be present in your own scope. So, I think these beautiful, perfect stories should be shared. It’s better than fiction.

My advice to aspiring journalists is that you have to go for it. Those studying journalism should know what I mean. Sitting in class and doing articles for homework isn’t enough. You have to get out there, find the good stories, and get yourself published. Whether it’s in your college paper, or your city’s daily paper, this is a 24/7-hour industry that is highly competitive. Journalism is one of the most crucial aspects to our society, and to democracy, so much so that it’s outlined in the First Amendment. It’s an amazingly rewarding field, in so many ways, but it will not fall into your lap.

7. What are some of your highlights of being a UAlbany Student?

There have been too many experiences to list. It’s been a long four years, filled with many twists and turns.  

8.  What do you plan to do once you graduate?

I’ve been asking myself that a lot recently. I’ve been applying for some jobs and fellowships across the country, and have some interviews lined up. I’m looking at jobs mainly in newspaper and radio, but I’m open to other options. Frankly, I’m overwhelmed by the options. I would love to continue traveling, and work in international journalism. Eventually I may go to graduate school, but right now, it’s all up in the air.

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!