Kassie Parisi: Editor-In-Chief of Albany Student Press

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

What is your major, year, and expected graduation date?

I’m a double major in Journalism and Communication, and I’ll be graduating this May.

When did you join the Albany Student Press/why?

I joined as a freshman, four years ago. As for why, from high school it clicked that journalism was what I wanted to do.

What do your duties as a member of the Albany Student Press (ASP) involve?

I serve as Editor-in-chief, which is basically the equivalent of the president in any other student organization.  I’m responsible for producing the newspaper that comes out every Tuesday, and in doing so, delegating tasks to editors, writers and photographers.  Also, I make sure that they’re meeting deadlines.  In addition, I meet with the business director to discuss advertising and also handling dues.  Also, I have to make sure papers are delivered, and we have meetings every week also.

Ever stressed?

Yes of course- it’s difficult because I work, and I’m also full time student, and with the paper I’m left with no free time.  But, if my position wasn’t rewarding I wouldn’t be doing it. This is something I’m passionate about.  It’s a good kind of stress though, because I’m doing something that benefits and keeps others informed.

Why would you recommend people getting involved in ASP?

For those interested in journalism, starting with the school newspaper is a great place to start, as you can learn from your mistakes.  For a lot of kids, it’s their first real journalism experience, and being involved with the Paper helps general student body to get their voice out and contribute.

Are you involved in any other activities either on campus or off?

Besides working, only the paper.  

What are some of your highlights being a UAlbany student?

I’ve met many amazing speakers, and I’d have to add that the Journalism department here is phenomenal.  There’s a wealth of information and knowledge available, and I was able to make connections.  I met mentors that I can rely on.  UAlbany is diverse, and I’ve gained access to people I wouldn’t normally have access to.  UAlbany recruits really strong professors, and this school is full of spirit, there’s always something different happening. 

What do you plan to do once you graduate?

I’m thinking about law school, and I’ll see how I feel after that. 

Fast Facts

• Instagram or Snapchat: Instagram
  • Favorite spot on campus: The science library, it’s really pretty, like, light & airy.  Another favorite spot is the front fountain by Collins Circle
  • Can’t leave the house/dorm without: My cell phone.  I get numerous emails a day; it’s basically my way of doing my job/communicating with my team.  My phone keeps me on schedule (alarms, emails, calendar, documents)
  •  Staple piece of your wardrobe: I’d say big/oversized sweaters.  I’ve been rebelling against the weather.  Flannels, and beanies too. 

Keep up with Kassie!

Twitter: @Kassie_Parisi

Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues