Karen Michel: A True Light in the UAlbany Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

If you know Karen Michel, then you know she is one of the most friendly, strong and outgoing students at the University of Albany. Carrying the legacy of “Most Likely To Brighten Your Day” from her High School yearbook superlatives, Karen is the type of person that can instantaneously put a smile on your face – and that is why she is this week’s Campus Celeb!

1. Tell us where you are originally from and why you chose to go to the University at Albany:

Originally, I’m from a small town in Rockland County, NY called Garnerville. I was drawn to Albany from the very first time I came to visit. Everyone I met had nothing but good things to say about the University and the programs it had to offer. The large student body and beautiful fountains pulled me in, and still hasn’t let me go. The fact that the University is only about two hours from home was also a plus!(*Interviewers note: Karen comes from a large, tightknit family – which you can easily see with her phone constantly buzzing from her cousin’s ongoing group chat!) 

2. As a second semester senior, I hear you’re not taking any classes – what are you doing in replace of that?

Yes! No classes for me this semester! After having completed my degree requirements I was pretty much on the road to graduation until I started looking at the Session Internship at the New York State Assembly. I wasn’t ready to head into the “real world” just yet and I still wanted to gain some work experience prior to graduation – so I filled out the application and held my breath until about a month or so later when I got an email letting me know that I  had been accepted. Now I work there full time, five days a week. There is also an academic component to the internship program though so I didn’t escape classes completely! In addition to our stipend, as interns, we get 15 credits from the University at Albany. These credits can be used as elective credits or can be applied to your major. We have class for an hour once a week and have some writing assignments.  

3. What is a day in the life at the assembly like?

At the Assembly we do everything. I’m honestly so thankful to have been given this opportunity because it’s so exciting. No two days are the same. It keeps me on my toes! I’m constantly meeting new people and learning about the legislative process. I work for newly elected Roxanne Persaud of Assembly District 59 (Brooklyn, NY). For the most part, aside from standard office work, I meet and talk with constituents, track/research bills, manage the schedule, and attend meetings and hearings both with Ms. Persaud and on her behalf. 

4. What other organizations are you a part of at UA? Have you held any E-board positions?

I support and attend events for many groups on campus, but the ones that have a special place in my heart are Middle Earth and UA ALIVE. Middle Earth is a peer assurance organization and UA ALIVE is Albany’s first and only suicide awareness club. Since we founded UA ALIVE in 2012, I have been the Public Relations Director, the Secretary, and this year I am the Walk Chair. 

5. How long were you in ME and what did you do? What was your favorite part?

I was in Middle Earth for five semesters. It was great. My favorite part of it was being able to host programs for the student body and neighboring campus community. As an outreach member I became a certified peer educator, so every semester I got to put on a presentation with my peers about particular issues that college aged people may face. 

6. You also work in the dining hall – how is that? What’s your favorite part of the job?

Yes! I work in the dining hall on Indian Quad a few days a week after I come home from work at the Assembly. I love it! It’s probably the most fun I have all day. Since I don’t take classes I often feel out of touch with the campus community, but when I go to Indian I feel like I’m back in the mix. Not to mention the yummy free food! If you live in the apartments and don’t have a meal plan, it’s totally the best job on campus. 

7. Can you tell us more about founding UA Alive and what the reason behind creating the club was?

I founded the club in Fall 2012 with a group of friends who were graduating that Spring. They unfortunately had lost a friend on campus to suicide their freshman year. That year was the first year the ‘Out of the Darkness Walk’ was held on campus. Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college aged students. Though I didn’t personally know the young man who had passed, I empathized with them and saw the importance in creating this club. We wanted to make sure that the walk always had a home here at UAlbany and to make sure other students were aware of just how important suicide awareness is. Founding this club with the other dedicated students was probably one of my proudest moments at UAlbany. It’s our own little legacy. After this semester, all the founding members will have graduated, and it will still be here – I am so grateful for that.

8. When is this year’s walk and what can students do to get involved?

This year is the 5th annual Out of the Darkness Walk and it will be held on May 2nd at the Indian Trail Pond (Behind Liberty Terrace). Registration starts at noon and the walk starts at 1pm! There are so many different ways for students to be involved. They can join UA ALIVE, they can email or contact us on our social media networks, or send us a message through MyInvolvment. Let us know that you are interested in helping out the day of the walk or at any of our other fundraising events this semester. Students – as well as their families and friends – can also start their own fundraising pages on the American Foundation for Suicide Prevent website!  

9. What’s next for Karen Michel after graduation?

After graduation I fully intend on living out my dream of taking over the world! No if, ands, or buts about it. But since I know my charm and great sense of humor may fall a little short of getting me there, I’ll start off by going to Law School in the fall and seeing where the wind blows me after that. If there’s a Her Campus “Where Are They Now?” interview series I’ll be sure to give you an update!

10. Lastly, what will you miss most about the University at Albany?

I will definitely miss all the friends I’ve made here! They’ve motivated me to be the best Karen I can be and I only have UAlbany to thank for that.

(Photo Courtesy of Karen Michel

More Information about the Out of the Darkness Walk can be found here: http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=3121

Georgina is a former student at the University at Albany, aspiring writer and current barista.