Interview Attire for the Young Professional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

You’ve filled out the application and you’ve made it to the interview round. Now it’s time for you to interview with the company. You have to look your absolute best and I am here to help you! Here are three types of interview wear you can wear to leave a lasting impression on your future boss.

This is a simple way to go for the interview. A black and white color scheme with a touch of nude. A black skirt paired with a blazer, even if it isn’t a suit, always looks chic. A nice blouse with a black and white print makes your outfit pop. Simple black pumps are always acceptable. You don’t want to wear platforms and you don’t want to have too high of a heel. Be comfortable! As for accessories, a simple necklace and post earrings are classic enough that you can’t go wrong. Finally, your handbag should be big enough to carry all of your documents and stylish enough that it complements your outfit. 

Here is another outfit idea you can go to for an interview. If the weather permits or if you really like wearing dresses, this one is for you. A nice and simple dress, either a solid color or a print, will go well with a blazer, to add a professional touch. Nice pointed flats add a stylish touch to your outfit and they are comfortable because you don’t have to worry about a heel. A nice watch can be a statement piece to an otherwise simple outfit and a bag to match makes for a complete outfit. 

The pants suit is one of the most chic and serious looks for an interview. When you walk in to the building, they know you mean business. This look includes a navy pants suit with a white oxford button down shirt. To brighten up the navy, I incorporated white and silver accessories. The white shoes and bag add to the white shirt and make the outfit pop. The silver bangles and silver hoops add shine. Don’t wear oversized hoops, be conservative with your jewelry. 

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!