Five Free Things to do in Washington D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

One city that is a must-see in the United States is the capital itself, Washington D.C. Although bumping into Obama outside Starbucks isn’t quite as achievable as you’d hoped, there are still plenty of things to do in the capital region – all for absolutely no cost. So save your dollars, because even on a tight budget you can find fun things to do with friends, things to do on a quiet day alone, or just a bit of culture and history. D.C. has it all. Here is my list of the top five things to do for free in Washington D.C

1) The White House & Washington Monument

The first place on the list is the home of the President – the White House. For no cost at all, you can get up close (well, not that close) to the building and see it’s magnificent architecture. It’s a must-see for any first time D.C. visitor, with tourists standing outside the fences daily, hoping to catch a glimpse of the President. Then, just a short walk away is the Washington Monument, one of D.C’s most iconic structures. It’s pretty easy to spot from anywhere in the city, you can’t really miss it at 555 feet and 5 inches tall!

2) Lincoln Memorial & Reflecting Pool

The Lincoln Memorial shouldn’t be missed. Built in honour of President Abraham Lincoln, the memorial itself stands at an impressive 99 feet tall, with a larger than life Honest Abe sitting within. Besides the memorial is the reflecting pool, which I half expected Forrest Gump to come running through, shouting my name. Some amazing historical events have happened right on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, including Martin Luther King Jr’s ‘I Have A Dream’ speech.

3) Ford’s Theatre

The place where Lincoln’s legacy lives on, it was here where the President was fatally shot as he sat in the Presidential box watching the play, ‘Our American Cousin.’ Ford’s Theatre includes a free museum that is full of artefacts and photographs, including the gun that John Wilkes Booth used to assassinate Lincoln. Informative, interesting and quite intense, you’re guaranteed to learn something new and it’s worth a visit.

4) Smithsonian Institution

From serious American history to classic props from TV, the Smithsonian Institution has so many things to see. Established in 1846, the Smithsonian has become a huge part of D.C, with seventeen museums and art galleries spread throughout the capital. Whether you want to see the artwork in the National Portrait Gallery, or learn some historical facts at the National Museum of American History, there are plenty of options to choose from. The National Museum of American History in particular has some really interesting exhibitions, my personal favourite being the Greensboro lunch counter taken from the 1960 Greensboro Sit-ins, one of the nonviolent protests against racial segregation in the United States.

5) Tour the Capitol & Congress

Last but definitely not least, is a tour of the stunning Capitol building – arguably the most attractive building in the entire city. No need to burn a hole in your wallet, you can have a free tour. It begins with a short film about the history of the building, and then you can wander around the place itself. Admire the beautiful artwork, be impressed by the original Supreme Court chambers, and the most amazing of all is the Rotunda, a huge domed room located in the center of the building. The canopy features ‘The Apotheosis of Washington’ painting, and the walls underneath tell the story of significant events in American history.

Edited by Toni Moy(Picture Sources: Sophie Dunne, sodahead.com, loftonspace.com)

Tabby is a 3rd year student at Swansea University in the UK, currently on a year abroad at the University at Albany, New York. She studies English & American Studies, and is the Travel & Study Abroad blogger at Her Campus Albany. She absolutely loves to travel, having already visited a number of cities in the U.S. and Canada since arriving last summer, including Boston, Chicago, Montreal and Washington D.C. Tabby also enjoys music, shopping, eating a lot of food (and instagramming said food) and excessively watching Netflix. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism once she graduates in 2016, having done some work experience previously at Microsoft MSN and now working for HC. http://instagram.com/tabbyduff 
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!