The Collegiette’s Guide to Shopping on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

We all want the latest clothes, bags, and other accessories. We like to go out to eat with our friends, go to the bars, and do other fun activities. Sometimes, however, at the end of the week there isn’t enough money. But how? Well after you received your direct deposit, you went on a shopping spree and your money ran out. Here’s a guide to help you budget your money so at the end of the week you’re ready for anything! 

1. Plan Out Your Money

The week before you get your check, think about necessary finances that you will have to take into account. If you need that $100 textbook and your check is $300 for the week then you’d only have $200 left in your pocket. If you live in an apartment take out your weekly grocery shopping money and rent money.

2. The Sale Section

When shopping on a budget, the sale section of your favorite store should be your best friend. You’d be surprised how much your favorite shirts or pants would get marked down. But be careful! Some stores have a policy that doesn’t allow you to return sale items.

3. Coupons

If your favorite store has a rewards program you should sign up because you can be eligible to get member discounts and coupons. Coupons and discounts make a big difference when your final total comes up at the register.

4. Thrifting

You will get the best deals at thrift stores. Don’t get freaked out because the clothes may have been worn – you can always wash or dry clean the merchandise. Some thrift stores even let you trade in clothes. So bring in clothes that you don’t wear anymore and restock your closet.

5. Ask Yourself, “Do I Need This or Do I Want This?”

If you just want it and it’s not a necessity for your closet then don’t buy it. You can use that money for something else that you’ll need down the road.

6. Shop Out of Season

When you shop out of season the clothes are cheaper. Companies are trying to get their winter merchandise out of the store so they mark them down. Get that winter coat you always wanted during the store’s transitioning period – you’ll pay a lot less than you would’ve if you purchased it in season. 

Edited by Toni Moy 

(Picture Sources: tumblr.com, financecrusader.com, possessionista.com, flickr.com, dwellingsbydevore.com, playbuzz.com, glamour.com)

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!
Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!