10 Young Black Actresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Zendaya

19-year-old fashionista and actress, Zendaya is loved my many because she is relatable. Catch her on K.C. Undercover and slaying the runway at every awards show. 

Amandla Stenberg

17-year-old Amandla first made headlines when she was cast as Rue in The Hunger Games. Last year, she was also seen in the headlines discussing cultural appropriation in the United States after Kylie Jenner posted a photo of herself in cornrows. 

China Anne McClain 

17-year-old China has been acting since she was seven years old. First seen in Tyler Perry films and television shows, she branched out in 2011 to do A.N.T Farm, a Disney Channel series. Now, China is on another Disney Channel series called Descendants: Wicked World. 

Madison Pettis

17-year-old Madison is best known for playing the role of Sophie Martinez in Corey in the House, spin-off of That’s So Raven. She is currently doing voiceover work as Zuri in Disney Channel Original Series, The Lion Guard. 

Keke Palmer

22-year-old Keke has been acting since 2004. She is known for her roles in Akeelah and the Bee, Madea’s Family Reunion and Jump In! She also had a show, True Jackson, VP for two years. Currently, she is working on Scream Queens, played Marty Maraschino on Grease: Live and she is also working on musical ventures.  

Imani Hakim

22-year-old Imani is best known for her role as Tonya Rock in Everybody Hates Chris. Recently, she played gymnast Gabby Douglas in The Gabby Douglas Story and she was also in Chocolate City as Carmen. 

Quvenzhané Wallis

12-year-old Quvenzhané made headlines when she made history for being the youngest actress ever and the first person born in the 21st century to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress in 2012. She also made headlines in 2014 when she starred in the remake of Annie. 

Yara Shahidi

16-year-old Yara stars in the hit television show Blackish. She has also been in episodes of Scandal, The Fosters and Family Guy. 

Marsai Martin

10-year-old Marsai also stars in Blackish. She started out acting in commercials then she found her calling at Blackish. She is very talented and someone that we should look out for in Hollywood. 

Skai Jackson

13-year-old Skai is known for her role as Zuri in the Disney Channel series Jessie. She has also been seen in Austin & Ally, Good Luck Charlie and Bunk’d. 

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!