A Potterhead’s Guide to Scotland: 4 Places I Visited as a Harry Potter Super Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alaska chapter.

Every September young witches and wizards board the Hogwarts Express at King’s Cross station in London. The train takes them on a long journey through rolling hills and pasture until they arrive at Hogwarts in the highlands of Scotland.

As the place where J.K. Rowling wrote the first book, the setting through much of the series and home of several filming locations, Scotland is the place to be for Harry Potter fans. Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, is the gothic city that inspired the Wizarding World. Just walking along the cobbled streets, I felt certain Diagon Alley was just around the corner—and in some sense, it was.

Victoria Street

Victoria Street in Old Town, Edinburgh is said to be J.K. Rowling’s inspiration for Diagon Alley—and if you’ve seen it you’d know why. The narrow, curved street is cozied by a mix of colorful and aged stone shops, not unlike Ollivanders or The Leaky Cauldron.

As Rowling likely wandered many streets in Old Town, it is no wonder she was influenced by her historic surroundings.

Victoria Street even has multiple Harry Potter shops along the way. Stop in to The Boy Wizard for your Hogwarts house garb, or Museum Context, aka Diagon House, for “historically licensed Harry Potter products.”  

The Elephant House

The Elephant House is one of several cafés where J.K. Rowling sat nestled with pen and paper, day after day drafting chapters. The café is not hard to spot, with its large “Birthplace of Harry Potter” sign displayed proudly above the door.

The bathrooms are covered in scribbled Potter graffiti and quotes from visiting fans. One of the walls features newspaper clippings of Rowling and photos of her writing the books.

Tom Riddle’s Grave at Greyriars Kirdyard

The Elephant House is just a short stroll away from Greyriars Kirdyard, the home of 19th century man Thomas Riddell’s gravestone. The grave is believed to be the inspiration for The Dark Lord’s birth name, Tom Marvolo Riddle. Rowling often took walks through the graveyard and said that it “may have subconsciously been the inspiration for Voldemort’s true name,” according to Express.

The gravestone reveals that the real Thomas Riddle was 72 when he passed away in Edinburgh in 1806. It also commemorates his children; Thomas, Captain of the 14th Regiment, lived to be just 26 and passed in 1802; Christian, aged 31, passed in 1808; and Maira Jane, aged 47, passed in 1819.

The grave neighbors that of poet William Topaz McGonagall, who you guessed it, inspired the character Professor Minerva McGonagall. Sadly, the real McGonagall may not have been as highly regarded as the Hogwarts Headmistress. He is widely known for being the “writer of the worst poetry in the English language.” Ouch.

Glenfinnan Viaduct aka The Hogwarts Express

The Glenfinnan Viaduct is an instantly recognizable filming location in the highlands of Scotland. The bridge was used for shots of the Hogwarts Express en route to the castle. The train itself, the Jacobite Steam Train, runs in the summer time and can not only be seen picturesquely trotting along the bridge, but you can actually ride it too. That’s right, you can buy yourself a ticket aboard the Hogwarts Express, but don’t go looking for platform 9 ¾ because this train departs from various Scotland towns.

You can also enjoy the film site by simply taking the hiking trail in Glenfinnan, a half-hour drive from Fort William. The full hike takes about two hours and provides an absolutely stunning view of Glenfinnan.

If you are visiting between April 22 and October 25, be sure to check the Jacobite’s schedule so you can catch it in all its glory crossing the bridge. I, unfortunately, was visiting in March, when the Jacobite was not running.

I got to Fort William by train. The five-hour ride from Edinburgh to the small, sea side town winds through the Scottish Highlands. The ride offers a glimpse of what Hogwarts students might have seen when they looked out their window on the Hogwarts Express.

There are countless other places sprinkled throughout Scotland and the rest of the U.K. laced with wizarding magic. If you have a few days to spend in Scotland, there are a number of Harry Potter specific tours you can take to explore even more Potter locations! Tours range from a couple hours to several days, so there is something for everyone.

Edinburgh: Harry Potter Magical Guided Walking Tour

From Edinburgh: Magical Highlands Tour by Steam Train

Jacobite Experience: 2-Day Tour with Hogwarts Express

3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands Tour from Edinburgh, Including “Hogwarts Express” Ride

Harry Potter, Hogwarts Express, Jacobite Steam Train, Harry Potter locations in Scotland, greyfriars kirkyard, Tom Riddle, Voldemort, Voldemort’s grave, Tom Riddle’s grave, McGonagall’s grave, Greyfriars kirkyard Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Elephant House, birthplace of Harry Potter, Diagon Alley, Edinburgh, Scotland and Harry Potter,

Mackenzie Sylvester is a senior Digital Journalism student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She is founder, editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for the University of Alaska Her Campus chapter and a National Writer for HC beauty. Mack is obsessed with all things health, beauty and magazine related. She is a retired hockey player, photographer, Potterhead and world-traveler. Mack is the self-proclaimed Hermione Granger who really was placed in Ravenclaw. Follow her on Instagram @macksylvester27.