Wellness > Mental Health

You (Yes You) Please Stop Telling Women What to do With Their Bodies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

We all do it–that’s what is so upsetting about the practice. We as individuals and as a society are constantly advising women on their own bodies. This behavior has been ingrained in us since we were children. Women are poked and prodded at on television and social media as if we cannot make our own decisions; however,  I catch myself exhibiting the same behaviors. I notice my friends, my family, and strangers constantly making comments about women’s bodies. Us women are walking dolls, available for scrutiny and interference at any moment. This behavior isn’t going away any time soon, but let’s start doing something about the way we think and act towards women.

I noticed recently while watching a movie with a group of friends, that everyone had some commentary on the female actors: “She needs to lose some weight,” “Her dress is too short,” or “Why did she cut her hair like that?” These thoughts seem to come naturally to all people, regardless of the commentator’s gender. Women critique other women as much as men do, and it often goes unnoticed. A few days ago, I was feeling warm and cozy in my baggy XL men’s sweatshirt and loose-fitted jeans, and a woman at a Walgreens looked me up and down and rolled her eyes in disgust. Just because we are the same gender does not give us the right to judge other women’s clothing choices or weight. Whether a woman decides to get married or stay single or have a one night stand or have a child is none of anyone else’s business. What a woman does with her physical being is none of your concern. Why is this so complicated for our society to comprehend this?

I am writing this piece, not only for others but for myself, too. I want to start trying to focus on the positivity and the uniqueness of others. Who cares if her outfit isn’t my taste? Let her do her own thing, and let her excel at it. We all need to become more aware of our thoughts. These critiques will come to our minds, but all we can do is acknowledge them, realize that they are unnecessary, and happily send them away.

Alabama Contributor