Working Out Outside of the Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Whatever the time of year, there are always reasons to slim down or stay in shape.

Right now we’re moving into the holiday season, which often means feasts of delicious and hard to turn down food. If you’re hoping to indulge in all the holiday eating, you may want to come up with a plan to make up for that indulgence. The Student Recreation Center on campus is one of the most popular options for Alabama students, but, at peak hours, the amount of people at the Rec is enough to hinder anyone’s exercise. In Tuscaloosa, there are plenty of options for working out outside the Rec.

The Quad

One of the benefits to living in Alabama is the weather. Although the summer is unbearably hot, fall and early winter are the perfect temperature to get in a workout outside. As University of Alabama students, we have the perfect workout spot built into our campus with the Quad. Getting in a long run between classes or joining in on a game of catch on the Quad will definitely leave you out of breath and a little sore by the end of the day!

In Your Dorm or Apartment

If you’re one of those girls who doesn’t have a clue what to do in the weight room, there are plenty of exercise routines online and in magazines to help you get started. While a subscription to a fitness magazine gives you new workouts every month, most magazines also have free, step-by-step workouts online. Women’s Health magazine has some that promise you’ll fit into your little black dress for the holidays, have a flat stomach, or transform your arms. Many of these online guides also include pictures and videos of how to do each move. If you’re a fitness magazine junkie and are looking for new workout routines to try at home, YouTube is a great place to start. Two certified personal trainers run toneitup.com, and they post free workout videos on YouTube just about every week. They also have challenges you can participate in, such as the Fall Challenge (which just ended) and the Spring Challenge. These routines are perfect for outside on The Quad and in the Parks or even inside your dorm room!

Specialized Workouts

The Rec has classes for just about everyone, but if you’ve been to all the classes and want something more advanced, one of the many specialized workout places in Tuscaloosa could be right for you. Many are two just minutes from campus! Yoga Bliss is located in downtown Tuscaloosa; they have classes for all levels that run in the mornings and nights seven days a week. The prices start at a $10 drop in anytime fee and continue with class packs, including a student special $40 for 6 classes. They also have unlimited use fees that are $70 for a month and $500 for a year. CrossFit Tuscaloosa has daily workouts that focus on strength and conditioning that are used by police and military academies. Located in downtown Tuscaloosa, CrossFit classes start at 5:30am and continue throughout the day, running around $100 a month.

Tuscaloosa Parks

If you’re seeking some time away from the busyness of campus, exercising in one of Tuscaloosa many parks is a great getaway. “I think our parks are great because they are so scattered across the community,” Amy Rainey, technology services coordinator for the Tuscaloosa County Park and Recreation Authority said. She explained, “No matter where you live there is something close to you.” The two parks closest to campus are the River Walk at Manderson Landing, which is located on Jack Warner Parkway just a minute from campus, and Snow Hinton Park, which is about four minutes away on McFarland Boulevard. Some of the parks in Tuscaloosa have activity centers that offer classes, swimming pools, workout equipment, and basketball courts. It costs about $100 a year to become a member and use these centers. However, you do not have to be a member to sign up for classes such as yoga, Zumba or Pilates. “We have about eight classes going on right now, and those change quarterly,” Rainey said. “There really is something for everyone here, whether you want to be indoors or outdoors,” she continued. You also don’t have to be a member to take advantage of the spacious areas to put together a pick-up game of soccer, or run around the trails.

Hiking and Biking

While there probably isn’t time everyday to go on a nature hike, a long hike or mountain biking session are fun options for weekends or days off. Only 12 minutes from the Alabama campus is Lake Lurleen State Park, which has miles of hiking and biking trails. “We have multiple activities, boats you can rent like paddle boats and canoes, hiking trails and a great 20 mile multi-use trail that’s considered an intermediate mountain bike trail,” Rosemary Burnette, manager of Lake Lurleen State Park, said. Talking about student use, Burnette continued, “We’re just a great recreational outdoor park in the area and there aren’t that many great outdoor parks available to students. We don’t get as many students as you think we would considering where we are.” The entrance fee for Lake Lurleen is $3 and visitors are allowed on the trails from 7 a.m. until 9 a.m. Another option for outdoor recreation is Munny Sokol Park, which is only 6 minutes away from campus. Sokol has over 11 miles of trails that are perfect for hiking and beginner mountain biking.

Whether you’re an exercise veteran or just trying to lose the Freshmen 15, there are plenty of options in Tuscaloosa for everyone to get a good workout outside the Rec Center. Adding variety to your everyday workouts is the best way to stay committed to working out. A change of scenery may be just what you need to stay focused!

Jessica Johnson is a senior at The University of Alabama double majoring in English Studies and Communication Studies while minoring in Creative Writing. Avid reader, writer and one-man band, Jessica is always working on a project of some sort. After spending summer 2011 interning with Atlanta's Q100 morning radio show (and waking up at 3:30am to dress for work) she has a new respect for early birds. When not playing with her three rescued mutts, you'll find her at Gallettes sippin' on a Yellow Hammer screaming ROLL TIDE ROLL!!