mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Remembering Ej Bradford—Justice?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Image credit:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fthegrio.com%2Fwp-cont…

Body:  It is February, a month set aside to show appreciation to all of the African Americans that have come before us. We are showing our respect and appreciation for the blood, sweat, and tears. This is a time to spread facts and celebrate how far we have come and how far we have to go. How is it being black in America? What are hardships that African Americans face on a daily basis? Has America come to a point where African Americans rights are important? We still have a long road ahead of us.

In November, a 21 year old male, by the name of Ej Bradford was murdered at the Riverchase Galleria. Bradford was accused of being the active shooter in the mall on Thanksgiving night, but later it was noted that he was not the shooter. Another arrest was made and the real shooter was captured. Who was EJ Bradford? Well, he enlisted in the United States Army in 2017 and completed basic training. In 2018, he went on administrative leave and he was helping in the care of his father who is battling cancer. His family described him as a loving young man who truly cared for his family and friends. Due to the outpour of protest and love shown from his community, you could tell he made a huge impact in the lives of many.

Each year, we mourn the loss of another African American male. Each year, we have to hear the same song of the shooting being justified by the courts. At some point, we have to take the target off of our African American males. This young man was enjoying a night out, shopping. He was attempting to find shelter during the shooting that was taking place. How was it assumed he was the shooter? To my cops, why have we automatically created a “Shoot First” mentality, but it seems to be only with the African American community? The Black Lives matter movement was created to shine a light on issues like this. It was not created to burn police cars, vandalize buildings, or harm others. This organization simply requires action to be taken. Until black lives matter, all lives can’t matter. My deepest condolences to this young man’s family, friends, and community.

Disclaimer: This is not to bash the cops in this world who truly care about the protection of the people. This is to shine a light on how much work still needs to be done as a country. The division in this country is not acceptable.

#SayTheirName

My name is Aundralesha Wordlow and I am a junior at the University of Alabama. I am from Anniston, Alabama which is about 45 minutes north of Birmingham. I am the daughter of Felecia Bradford and Adrew Wordlow. I have two older brothers, who are both married. I have two nephews that I truly adore. I am a very friendly and outgoing person and I love meeting new people.
I am currently enrolled and The Univerity of Alabama. A travel enthusiast who plans to see the whole world from the window of my tiny house. I believe that exploring the world and learning about other cultures is the cure of prejudice. There are something many places and people to meet, and i just want to share my experiences.