This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s that time of year again. You can’t escape the endless plays of “Thriller” and “Monster Mash” in the grocery store, all your SHEIN and Princess Polly emails are suggesting costume ideas, and you are desperately trying to find plans for your Halloween night.

One of my absolute favorite parts of the season is the endless binge-watching of Halloween classics like Hocus Pocus and The Nightmare Before Christmas. For those who don’t like horror movies, there are a few movies that will satisfy the need for creepy-but-not-scary, when watching the Sanderson sisters sing “I Put a Spell on You” gets repetitive. As a resident cheesy movie fan, here are my favorite traditional, not-at-all scary Halloween movies!

Halloweentown

One of my absolute favorite Halloween movies is Halloweentown, a Disney film filled with 90s kitsch and one of the cheesiest, Disney-esque plots. I grew up watching this movie, so I feel an immense nostalgia whenever I rewatch it; even first-time viewers will see just how special and sweet this movie is. It captures the feeling of Halloween as a little kid perfectly. The excitement, bright colors and over-the-top storytelling make me feel like I am eight again, planning out my costume and trick-or-treating with my friends in the neighborhood. So if you’re looking for something light, sweet and totally predictable in the best way, Halloweentown should be your top choice.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

This classic goes even farther back than Halloweentown. My parents have told me countless times about how I sobbed at this Peanuts TV special when I was just a baby. Just like Halloweentown, it captures a special place in anyone’s heart if they watched it as a young kid. It’s timeless, easy to watch, and it’s reminiscent of a simpler time, when we worried about whether the Great Pumpkin was going to arrive instead of which party to go to. One of my favorite parts of Halloween is getting to sit back with my pals Linus, Charlie and Snoopy to enjoy a sweet story.

Scooby Doo: The Movie 

While this may not be a traditional movie watched during Halloween, the Scooby Doo series is a must for anyone who loves a bit of mystery. The beauty of this film and its sequel is that they are just as enjoyable now as they were when we were kids. They’re a great mix of camp, humor and monsters. The addition of 2000s stars like Matthew Lillard and Sarah Michelle Gellar are a bonus. If you’re looking for a movie that can lighten up the mood without being too sugary-sweet, Scooby Doo is a great choice.

If you’re staying home this Halloween because of the pandemic, turn on one of these movies! They’re a great way to pass the time, be safe, and enjoy a little Halloween spirit.

Claire is a sophomore at the University of Alabama studying Psychology, Anthropology, and Criminal Justice. Originally from Seattle, Claire has loved experiencing life on the other side of the country and hopes to one day be a clinical psychologist. She is passionate about mental health, politics, and her cat. When she's not writing for HerCampus, you can find her kayaking, baking, or making jewelry.
Alabama Contributor