This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

The time that you’ve been dreaming about is finally here– your college years. Whether you traveled across the country to come to your dream college or aren’t that far from home, there’s one feeling that tends to sneak up on us: homesickness.  

I remember during the first week of my freshman year at UA, I began sobbing uncontrollably. At first,  I didn’t even know why, but then I realized that the major transition of being at college had finally hit me, even though my week was going great and I felt like I was doing okay.  

If you’re anything like me, you hate change and cling to familiarity, making the transition to college even harder. However, it’s then that I realized that I could feel sad over one chapter of my life ending, while also being hopeful about the new one beginning.  It does not have to be one feeling or the other.  

Whatever you’re  feeling is valid and trust me- the life you had at home is not totally over. You will find yourself chatting with your parents and hometown friends often. You will start planning trips home and meeting up with friends that go to different colleges. Your bonds with these people will grow stronger.  

Know that you chose this college for a reason. The lessons you will learn, the people you will meet, and the experiences you will have are all meant for you. 

Do things that you loved to do at home in your new town. If you have a favorite coffee shop in your hometown, try out new ones around your college to find one you love. Keep yourself busy by working out, planning out your semester, getting a job, or joining a new club.  

One of the most important things you can do is to be open about how you ’are feeling to with someone. Ignoring how you feel only makes you feel worse. Know that the feeling of homesickness is completely normal, won’t last forever, and that you will feel better with time.  

College life is one of the best experiences, so no matter how you are feeling right now, remain hopeful and think positive!  

Takera Davis

Alabama '23

Takera is a sophomore at The University of Alabama pursuing a degree in Human Development and Family Studies. In her free time, she enjoys painting, writing, and trying new things! She hopes to work with children one day and make a difference in her community.