Football 101: The In’s and Out’s of America’s Most Passionate Sport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

America doesn’t love anything much more than the great game of football, especially in the SEC, but sometimes understanding the game of football is no walk in the park. It’s a numbers game, and mostly all about strategy. For me, I was given the privilege of growing up with the game; my dad coached my brother from a young age. Below are the basics to the game that I have come to know and love from the help of my family, ESPN and the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The Basics

The basics of college football are not the easiest to remember, however the three most basic and important aspects to know about football are the field, the offense and the defense.

First is the field:

1. The playing field is 100 yards long, measured by 10-yard intervals from the end zone (10 yard-line) to the center of the field (50 yard-line).
  2. The line where playing field meets the end zone is called the goal line.
  3. Each end zone is 10 yards deep—totaling the entire field at 120 yards long.

The Offense is the team with possession of the ball, in hopes of scoring. The most important thing to know about the offense is the positions.

Positions

1. Quarterback (QB) – think AJ McCarron
  2. Running back (RB) – think Eddie Lacy or T.J. Yeldon
  3. Center (C) – think Barret Jones
  4. Right Guard (G) – think Anthony Steen
  5. Left Guard (G) – think Chance Warmack
  6. Right Tackle (T) – think D.J. Fluker
  7. Left Tackle (T) – think Cyrus Kouandjio
  8. Tight End (TE) – think Michael Williams
  9. Wide Receiver (WR) – think Kenny Bell

[pagebreak]

Offensive Formations – 6 most basic and commonly used offensive formations.

[pagebreak]

The Defense is the team trying to prevent the opposing offense from scoring and gaining any yards beyond the line of scrimmage.  

Positions

1. Defensive Tackle (DT) – think Jesse Williams
  2. Defensive End (DE) – think Damion Square
  3. Outside Linebacker (OLB) – think C.J. Mosley
  4. Inside Linebacker (ILB) – think Nico Johnson
  5. Outside Linebacker (OLB) – think Adrian Hubbard
  6. Cornerback (CB) – think Dee Milliner
  7. Safety (S) – think Robert Lester and Vinnie Sunseri

[pagebreak]

Defensive Formations – 3 most commonly used defensive formations.

[pagebreak]

The Glossarybelow are football terms that are commonly unknown but frequently used in the world of football.

Backfield – the area behind the line of scrimmage, and generally refers to the offensive players line up behind the offensive line such as the quarterback, running back, tailback and/or fullback.

Blitz – a defensive ploy, in which the linebackers charge the quarterback/backfield instead of remaining behind the line of scrimmage.

Fullback (FB) – an offensive position whose responsibility is to block for the running back and pass-blocking to protect the quarterback. Also, short yardage runners—generally used for 4th downs.

Halfback (HB) – an offensive position, usually a type of running back and similar to a fullback.

Lateral – a pass thrown with no motion or yardage toward either end zone, similar to backward pass.

Option – (my favorite play) a play in which the quarterback has the option of handing off, keeping or laterally tossing to one or more back to toward one side of the field. Frequently, used in formations such as the veer option, or counter option.

Pass Interference – when a cover position player obstructs a receiver’s opportunity to catch a forward pass.

Red-Zone – the 20 yard line and the goal line of the defensive team.

Sack – the tackling of the ball carrier whose intention is to throw a forward pass.

Safety – 2 meanings

1. A defensive position commonly referred to the free safety and strong safety.
  2. A scoring opportunity of 2 points by tackling an opposing ball carrier or forcing a fumble in their own end zone.

Secondary – general nickname for the defensive “backfield,” specifically the safeties and cornerbacks.

Sneak – (a.k.a. quarterback sneak) offensive play designed for the quarterback to run. Immediately receiving the snap the quarterback charges through the defensive line, typically used for a short-gain on 4th downs, or 1st and goal.

[pagebreak]

Alabama Football 101

The two numbers Alabama is most proud of are 14 (hopefully 15 by January 8th) and (now) 23. 14 National Championships and 23 Southeastern Conference Championships.

14 Nationals Championships (hopefully soon to be 15)

Year

Coach

Opponent

Bowl

1925

Wallace Wade

Washington

Rose Bowl

1926

Wallace Wade

Stanford

Rose Bowl

1930

Wallace Wade

Washington State

Rose Bowl

1934

Frank Thomas

Stanford

Rose Bowl

1941

Frank Thomas

Texas A&M

Cotton Bowl

1961

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

Arkansas

Sugar Bowl

1964

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

Texas

Orange Bowl

1965

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

Nebraska

Orange Bowl

1973

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

Notre Dame

Sugar Bowl

1978

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

Penn State

Sugar Bowl

1979

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

Arkansas

Sugar Bowl

1992

Gene Stallings

Miami

Sugar Bowl

2009

Nick Saban

Texas

BCS National Championship

2011

Nick Saban

LSU

BCS National Championship

[pagebreak]

23 Southeastern Conference Championships

Year

Coach

1933

Frank Thomas

1934

Frank Thomas

1937

Frank Thomas

1945

Frank Thomas

1953

Harold Drew

1961

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1964

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1965

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1966

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1971

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1972

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1973

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1974

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1975

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1977

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1978

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1979

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1981

Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant

1989

Bill Curry

1992

Gene Stallings

1999

Mike DuBose

2009

Nick Saban

2012

Nick Saban

Sources:

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a/bl_football101.htm

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/alab-m-footbl-mtt.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1206649-alabama-football-why-bamas-offensive-line-is-the-best-in-the-nation

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-identify-football-formations.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/footballs-offensive-team-formations-for-running-ba.html

Victoria, the Sports Columnist for Her Campus Alabama, is a sophomore at the University of Alabama originally from Philadelphia, PA.  With a major in Communications and minor in Public Relations, Victoria plans to pursue her dream to work in sports whether it be for ESPN, a NFL franchise, or behind a desk sports-blogging. Victoria plans to work this summer, study abroad in Rome next spring, and get a summer internship in NYC next year. If she is not watching SportsCenter, E! News, or Duke Lacrosse, you can most likely find her blogging on her personal blog. http://socalledsecret.wordpress.com/
Alabama Contributor