Football 101: The In's and Out's of America's Most Passionate Sport

America doesn't love anything much more than the great game of football, especially in the SEC, but sometimes understanding the game of football is no walk in the park. It's a numbers game, and mostly all about strategy. For me, I was given the privilege of growing up with the game; my dad coached my brother from a young age. Below are the basics to the game that I have come to know and love from the help of my family, ESPN and the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The Basics

The basics of college football are not the easiest to remember, however the three most basic and important aspects to know about football are the field, the offense and the defense.

First is the field:

1. The playing field is 100 yards long, measured by 10-yard intervals from the end zone (10 yard-line) to the center of the field (50 yard-line).
  2. The line where playing field meets the end zone is called the goal line.
  3. Each end zone is 10 yards deep—totaling the entire field at 120 yards long.

The Offense is the team with possession of the ball, in hopes of scoring. The most important thing to know about the offense is the positions.

Positions

1. Quarterback (QB) – think AJ McCarron
  2. Running back (RB) – think Eddie Lacy or T.J. Yeldon
  3. Center (C) – think Barret Jones
  4. Right Guard (G) – think Anthony Steen
  5. Left Guard (G) – think Chance Warmack
  6. Right Tackle (T) – think D.J. Fluker
  7. Left Tackle (T) – think Cyrus Kouandjio
  8. Tight End (TE) – think Michael Williams
  9. Wide Receiver (WR) – think Kenny Bell

Pages